THE MARKET HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1088254

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1976

Statutory Address: THE MARKET HALL, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MARKET HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1088254 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 10:30:30.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MARKET HALL, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Chesterfield (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 38192 71088

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARKET PLACE 1. 5169 The Market Hall SK 3871 SW 1/80 9.8.76.

II GV

2. Architects Danes and Sons. 1857 for Chesterfield Market Company. Byzantine/Italianate influence. Red brick with stone dressings and slate roof. The building forms a hollow rectangle with a covered market in the centre space. Symmetrical eastern facade to Market Place. 2 storeyed, 3 bay centre part - from which rises tall centre tower- flanked by outer 3 storey 1 bay wings. Stone quoins and double sill bands at 1st floor height. Additional stone eaves band from which springs wide corbelled eaves cornice with blocking course above. Rusticated stone pilasters, which flank centre 1st floor windows, carried up centre tower which has a rectangular cross section with wide faces to east and west. 1st stage of tower, narrow band of 4 small windows set in stone panel, moulded cornice above. Very tall paired round arched lights containing louvred panels form 2nd stage which terminates in heavy corbelled eaves cornice rising from stone band, and blocking course raised in centre over clock. Formerly ogee slated cupola surmounted by iron ogee crown and balustrade but this has now been removed. All windows have stone architraves. 2nd floor of end wings has triple round arched sashes with glazing bars. Sashes with labels and vertical glazing bars to all 1st floor windows of this facade. Arcaded ground floor with rusticated stone pilasters and stone archivolts. Arcades now generally occupied by shop windows and doors. Centre segmental arch, others round arched. North and south facades also of symmetrical design with slightly advanced 3 storey end bays. Generally similar windows to those of eastern facade but northern ground floor has a range of altered C19 shop fronts with centre round arched entrance to Market Hall with keystone and wrought iron work filling tympanum. 1st floor windows of centre section have end sashes flanking 5 tall round arched windows with glazing bars. Stone archivolts continued as impost band between windows and above end sashes. South facade all of 3 storeys (greater height under same roof due to sloping ground). 2nd floor centre has 7 pairs of round arches sashes with sill band beneath. lst floor has 7 sashes with flat lintels. Round arches to ground floor arcade now.occupied by small shop fronts, some incorporating decorative pierced cast iron panels. Centre arched entrance to Market Hall with some ironwork in tympanum (added rear 2 storey later C19 block of no interest). Interior northern 1st floor hall with arched windows has ribbed coved ceiling with plaster cornices, tiled bands and panels, some 6 panelled doors and plain panelling in south range. The Market Hall forms the west side of the Market Place and the centre of the continuous Market Place - New Square space. It is a focal point of views from the entrances into the Market Place particularly those from the east and south and terminates the view along the narrow Shambles. The arcaded south side is particularly important from Central Pavement. The strong horizontal lines of the facade continue similar horizontals formed by the long lines of windows around other 3 sides of the Market Place. The scale of the Market Hall echoes that of the rest of the Market Place whilst its size and coherent design provide a dominant note emphasized by the tall centre tower. Decorative ref. The Builder Feb 27, 1875 p 182.

Listing NGR: SK3819271088

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 83409

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 27 February, (1875), 182

End of official listing