CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1088299

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, CHATSWORTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1088299 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Feb-2019 at 01:49:27.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, CHATSWORTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Chesterfield (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 36206 70656

Details



908/13/32 CHATSWORTH ROAD 13-MAR-68 BRAMPTON (North side) CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

II Parish church of 1830-31 by Woodhead & Hurst, with chancel 1888 by Naylor and Sale, restored 1903 by Adams.

MATERIALS: Hammer-dressed gritstone in regular courses, freestone dressings, snecked rubble to organ chamber and north chancel wall, graded-slate roof.

PLAN: Nave, lower and narrower chancel, south vestry, north organ chamber, west tower.

EXTERIOR: Mainly in the plain Gothic style as favoured in the early C19. It has a narrow 3-stage west tower with angle buttresses and crowned by an embattled parapet with pinnacles. The tall west doorway has a broad chamfer and modern door, above which is a single-light window. The second stage has a south clock face, and roundel for a clock face on the west side. Pairs of 2-light bell openings have a transom formed by a broad quatrefoil frieze. The north-west vestry and south-west porch, flanking the tower, each has a 2-light window with intersecting cusped tracery. The north doorway is partly blocked and has an attached link to a modern church hall. The south door is modern but the tympanum is made up of blind Gothic tracery in wood. The 5-bay nave is buttressed, with big pinnacles rising from angle buttresses, and has a frieze of shields below the eaves. Three-light windows have intersecting cusped tracery. The chancel is Perpendicular style. It has a 5-light east window and two high-set 2-light south windows above the vestry. The vestry is dated 1963 on rainwater heads, but re-uses older masonry from nave and chancel walls.

INTERIOR: The wide nave was designed to accommodate a 3-sided gallery, but any such structure has been removed. The 9-bay roof has boxed beams, and a bold stencilled scheme of Christian symbols and inscriptions added in the late C19. An oriel window in the west wall of the nave was built in commemoration of George V (1910-36). The porch has a painted and embossed roof in the same spirit as the nave. Chancel details are late C19. The chancel arch has an inner order on corbels, and has a 3-bay collar-beam roof on corbelled brackets. Corbels are painted with symbols of the Evangelists. Walls are plastered. The original nave floor is concealed beneath a raised modern floor. The chancel has a mosaic floor and floorboards below choir stalls.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: Font, benches and pulpit have been removed from the nave. Choir stalls have shaped ends, open-arcaded frontals and panelled backs. One tier incorporates poppy heads to the ends, and the back row has a high-panelled back and canopy. The communion rail is probably C20, with wooden angel balusters. The sanctuary is panelled, and the war-memorial reredos has empty niches and wide central panel under an ogee head. The east window of c1891 shows the crucifixion. Other glass is late C19 or early C20, including SS Thomas, Cecilia and King David by Morris & Co (c1915).

HISTORY: The church was built in 1830-31 by John Woodhead (d 1838) & William Hurst (1787-1844), architects of Doncaster, at a cost of £3013, with a grant of £2063 from the Church Commissioners. A new, larger, chancel was added in 1888 (date on foundation tablet) by the architects J.R. Naylor (1854-1923) and G.H. Sale (1857-1945). They also added the organ chamber. The church was restored in 1903 by Cole Adams. The south vestry was built in 1963.

SOURCES: Pevsner, N., (revised E. Williamson), The Buildings of England: Derbyshire (1978), 150. Port, M H., Six Hundred New Churches (1961),142-43.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St Thomas, Brampton, Chesterfield, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * The exterior retains the simple Gothic character that is typical of the early C19, which has not been unduly compromised by the later chancel and vestry. * Interior details of interest include the unusual richly painted nave roof. * The building well represents the churches built with parliamentary grants to serve expanding urban populations in the early C19.



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 83315

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/62850

End of official listing