Swarkestone Bridge and Causeway


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Swarkestone Bridge and Causeway, Derby Road


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1088337.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Oct-2021 at 05:06:40.


Statutory Address:
Swarkestone Bridge and Causeway, Derby Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Derbyshire (District Authority)
Stanton by Bridge
National Grid Reference:
SK 37030 27810


SK 32 NE 3/224


PARISH OF STANTON-BY-BRIDGE DERBY ROAD Swarkestone Bridge and Causeway


Bridge and causeway three quarters of a mile long. A bridge is first referred to in 1204. The present causeway dates from the late C13 or early C14. The bridge itself was destroyed by floods in 1795 and replaced 1795-7 by a new bridge probably designed by Thomas Sykes, the County Surveyor.

Repairs 1682, repairs and widening 1799, 1808, 1830, 1852-4 and blue brick strengthening arches inserted 1899. Coursed squared sandstone, sandstone ashlar, repair and strengthening in red and blue brick. At the north end is the bridge over the River Trent, of 1795-7. Five arches ramped to the centre. Segmental arches with plain drip moulds and between them, semi-circular cutwaters with rounded tops and pilaster strips above. Coped parapet walls with moulded string course at the base, splaying out to north approach.

Causeway to south. The first arch, a segmental arch partially rebuilt in 1977. To the south, a triangular buttress and group of rebuilt round arches. Then a pair of C14 pointed arches, visible to east, strengthened with C18 red brick ribs and engineering bricks of 1899. Widened to east. Triangular buttress on each side. Continuing to south, the parapet wall is interrupted for a short stretch by wooden fencing. Intermittent sections of medieval stringcourse. Then a group of medieval segment pointed arches with triangular buttresses, the arches lined with engineering bricks in 1899. Widened to east in 1853. Extensive length of medieval stringcourse before the next group of three medieval arches with triangular buttresses, the arches lined with engineering brick and widened to the west in 1853. Followed by a pair of later arches and a similar pair of medieval arches, the parapet to the east renewed in red brick. Further lengths of medieval stringcourse, and a medieval cutwater to east flanked by later arches and the springing point of a medieval arch. Then more lengths of medieval stringcourse, the wall battered below, and a pair of rounded arches with stepped voussoirs; possibly the two arches known to have been rebuilt in 1808. Finally a well preserved group of six medieval arches and a seventh rebuilt, round-arched in 1829. The segment pointed medieval arches are double chamfered and have five chamfered medieval ribs below, widened to west in 1854 with a further three ribs. Iron ties of 1854. The last curved portion of the causeway was built in 1830. Along the causeway are various masons marks. Also scheduled as an Ancient Monument (AM No: 7).

Listing NGR: SK3703027810


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Swarkestone Bridge an Appraisal, (1978)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/02349/12
Rights: © Mr Thomas Bates. Source: Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].