This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1089097



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tewin

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 356267

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TEWIN QUEEN HOO LANE TL 21 NE (Southeast side) Queen Hoo Hall 3/157 20.10.52 II* GV Country house. c.1570-85, probably for J. Smyth. Minor c.1800 and C20 alterations. Red brick, English bond, with black brick diapering. Cement rendered dressings. Steeply pitched tiled roof. Traditional 3 room plan in a rectangle with 2 full height projecting 'prospect tower' bay windows, staircase wing to rear. 2 storeys attic and cellar. 4 window front. Entrance in screens passage position to right of hail, plank and muntin door, timber jambs and lintel without original porch. Hall has 6 light mullion and transom casements with lattice lights and ovolo moulded surrounds, 1 on ground floor, 2 on first floor, a small blocked opening with moulded brick surround on ground floor near lower end of hall. Moulded cement rendered plinth. Diamond brick diapering on first floor. Slight raising to swept out eaves. Projecting bay window to left or parlour end has a later entrance with a chamfered 4 centred arched head. First floor 6 light window as in hall, 3 light mullioned attic window. Shaped kneelers to moulded brick gable parapet with 3 original honeycombed finials. Bay window at lower end is similar with 6 lights on ground floor. Left gable end has ground floor and first floor 6 light mullion and transom windows, 2 lights in attic, black brick diapering in gable with shaped kneelers to tumbled in brick parapet. Right gable end has an inserted plank door, 3 lights on ground floor, first floor cross casement, 2 lights in attic, kneelers to brick parapet. To rear staircase wing behind screens passage and 3 large external stacks with hearths to each room. Stair wing has two 2 light casements, a blocked opening with a moulded brick surround and a hipped roof. Entrance in right return. Hall stack adjoins stair wing with a tiled offset above eaves, base tapers up to paired diagonal shafts with oversailing caps. Parlour stack is similar with only 1 offset to right. Kitchen stack is larger with 3 diagonal shafts and is incorporated into c.1800 scullery outshut with a catslide roof, C20 dormer. To rear of this and extending to left is 1 storey C20 outbuilding with a hipped roof. Interior: on ground and first floor hall and parlour stone fireplaces have ovolo moulded depressed Tudor arches, splayed at springings, moulded square heads. Stop chamfered timber lintel to larger kitchen fireplace. Partition walls have panel framing of large scantling, stop chamfered binding beams, staircase with framed central newel with cupboards, transitional between solid newel and open well, tenoned purlin roof. On first floor in room over parlour are late C16 wall paintings, an Old Testament scene, probably Soloman worshipping False Gods, and decorative frieze of foliage, scroll ornamented panels and sinopia work. J. Strutt's Queenhoo Hall, a Romance completed by Walter Scott in 1808 was set here. (East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions, 1903, vol.2, pt.2, pl.78: VCH 1908: RCHM 1910: Country Life, 15/3/62, p.594: Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL2787416129

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Strutt, J, Scott, W, Queen Hall House a Romance, (1808)
'Country Life' in 15 March, (1962), 594
'Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society, , Vol. 2, (1903), 178
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 27874 16129


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1089097 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2017 at 01:12:00.

End of official listing