CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1089134
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, WOOLMERS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1089134.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 19:32:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, WOOLMERS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Hertingfordbury
National Grid Reference:
TL 28639 10869

Details

HERTINGFORDBURY CHAPEL LANE TL 21 SE (South side) Letty Green 5/51 Church of St. John the 24.11.66 Baptist (formerly listed as Church of St. Mary with St. John) - II

Parish church, built as chapel of ease. 1849-50 by G. Fowler Jones, probably endowed by the 6th Earl Cowper of Panshanger (q.v.). Extended 1890. Brick with knapped flint facing, stone dressed. Slate roofs. Gothic Revival Style. Originally a simple rectangle, 4 bay nave with 1 bay chancel. Extended to E by 1 bay with organ bay/vestry to N, mission room to S and porch to W. Gabled porch to W, leaded lights in timber frame on flint and stone base, ridge cross. 2 tall lancets in W wall with an upper hexafoil light. End buttresses to N and S. Stone coped gable parapet. Sanctus bellcote on ridge with cusped bell opening, buttresses, ridge cross on gabled head. Nave walls have 4 lancets with trefoiled heads, buttresses, original chancel bay has blocked openings. Mission Room to S has separate roof. W gable end, pointed arched entrance, paired lancets with hood mould, parapet with kneelers. Similar paired lancet to E. Chancel E end has 3 trefoil headed lancets, an upper hexafoil light, coped parapet with kneelers. Organ bay/vestry has gable to N. 2 lancets with a hood mould, coped parapet with kneelers. Interior: arched braced collar beam roof, later chancel bay is narrower with a timber chancel arch on shaped brackets, chamfered arch to organ bay and pointed arched vestry door. Panelled Gothic reredos. Ornamental iron communion rails, timber pulpit with open Gothic panels with iron ornament. Simple patterned glass in nave windows, figures in E window. (The Builder, vol. VII, No.347, Sept.29, 1849: VCH 1912).

Listing NGR: TL2863910869

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
356157
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912)
'The Builder' in 29 September, , Vol. 7, (1849)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/10389/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].