This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1091401



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ashleworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Nov-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 134308

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ASHLEWORTH QUAY LANE SO 8025-8125 7/17 Ashleworth Court (formerly listed as Ashleworth 10-1-55 Court, Ashleworth Quay) GV I Farmhouse. About 1460 for Bristol Abbey, altered C17, second half C19 by and for T. Fulljames, early C20. Coursed, squared blue lias, ashlar to openings, tiled roof. Four-room main block, cross wing projecting only at rear, oriel in angle: single-storey wing other end. Generally, windows and doorways with hoodmoulds and voussoir-relieving arches, latter omitted close under eaves: parapet gables with cross-gablet apices. Front, west elevation: windows to left of cross passage mullion and transom. Cross wing on left does not project: ground floor 3-light window, flat head, no hoodmould; above 2-light window, arched head; gable over. To right 2 tall 2-light windows originally to Great Hall: sills lowered to different levels in C19 and C20. Boarded door to cross passage. Three irregularly-spaced lancets to right, trefoil heads, flat hoodmoulds, sunk spandrels to left pair, leaf carving to wider right-hand one. Above two 2-light mullioned windows, trefoil heads to lights, flat hoodmould: left window at some stage had been a door, cutting away relieving arch of window below. Three ridge chimneys, that on right of cross passage with crenellated top. Rear elevation: wall thickened externally on left, single-storey left wing with storerooms projects. To right boarded door, 2 lancets and boarded door to cross passage, only last with hoodmould, relieving arches only to doors. Above 3 corbels for wallplate and stone string marking top of former lean-to roof. Two-light mullioned window as front, and small quatrefoil window. Two tall windows to Great Hall as front, sills similarly lowered. Oriel, left return boarded door, cambered stone arch (probably C19 opening): relieving arch for former window: lancet above as front; render on brick to gable, no copings. Main face lancet as front ground floor, 2-light mullioned window above: small ogee- headed lancet at half level for stairs. Cross wing, C20 metal French doors ground floor left return, lancet as front above: gable, on left scar of former narrow wing, jamb of blocked door above and line of roof: to right 2-light casement, iron opening light on ground floor, cambered stone arch. Above 2-light mullioned window, shouldered arches to lower part, plain triangles above, inscribed TF 1870; quatrefoil over. Lateral chimney right return behind lean-to room. Interior: cross passage: door and blocked door right, latter to former stairs. Two service rooms in line, outline of blocked wide fireplace in gable wall. Great hall originally to left, open to roof; C17 floor inserted, divided into 2 rooms: ceiling in 12 compartments, with deep, chamfered beams. Partition to cross passage timber framed, ignoring ceiling beams. Oriel with spiral stone staircase: stone paving in front room in cross wing, C19 stone fireplace: exposed ceiling joists. First floor C17 handrail stairs, plain, splat balusters: 2 stone heads; moulded wooden cornice. Room adjoining cross wing open to roof: arch-braced collar trusses, braces from stone corbels: moulded, crenellated wallplate, 2 pairs butt purlins, chamfered with pyramid stops, square ridge, curved windbraces in 3 tiers. Service end, ceiling in 3 bays, each in 3 sections: last bay subdivided probably late C19. Cross wing, loft inserted C17, three posts to carry ends main beams: front room 3 bays, trusses and roof as hall, with trusses against gable and stud partition: single rear bay originally open to roof also, but simple wallplate and no windbraces. Forms important group with church and tithe barn (q.v.). (M. Wood, Medieval English House, 1965; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970)

Listing NGR: SO8186625222

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
Wood, E , The English Medieval House, (1965)

National Grid Reference: SO 81865 25218


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1091401 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 09:21:22.

End of official listing