POPLAR FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1091719
Date first listed:
04-Jul-1960
Statutory Address:
POPLAR FARMHOUSE, A46

Map

Ordnance survey map of POPLAR FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1091719.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2020 at 22:20:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
POPLAR FARMHOUSE, A46

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Shurdington
National Grid Reference:
SO 92254 18583

Details

SHURDINGTON A46 SO 91 NW (east side)

4/134 Poplar Farmhouse

4.7.60 II

Large farmhouse, uninhabited and in state of dereliction at time of resurvey - February 1987. Dated and initialled 'L.A. Gwinneth 1661' on a sundial at the right gable end, extended late C18-early C19. Coursed squared and dressed limestone now mostly pebble- dashed. Later extension brick with rendered front. Red tile roof with brick stacks. Rectangular plan with later extension to the left gable end and rear left. Projecting earth closet at the right gable end, not of special interest. Two storeys and attic. Twin-gabled entrance front facing the main road with later extension to the left. Two 3-light C19 casements and a canted 4- light C19 casement to the ground floor; two 3-light canted oriel windows on projecting moulded brackets with simple chip-carved decoration to the first floor; 2 small 3-light windows with some diamond-leaded panes to the attic. Two 3-light casements one with leaded panes to the extension. Projecting open-sided 2-storey porch at the centre of the early range. Wooden bench seats with tall straight plank backs inserted on the ground floor; early studded plank door with decorative hinges within porch; canted 3- light window supported on a moulded bracket with a small carved boss towards the bottom. Right gable end: 3-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned casement to the ground floor; continuous dripmould above; 2-light window with stopped hood above; square slab sundial with moulded hood and inscription 'L.A.= GWINNETH 1661' at the top below the window; single-light window with ovolo-moulded surround and hood to the attic. Two large chimney gables and two 2-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned casements at the rear where a gabled 2-storey brick porch-like projection conceals an early plank door with fleur-de-lys ended hinges each bearing the date '1661' within a round-headed surround with keystone and imposts. Segmental-headed 2-light casements to the brick extension to the right. Ceramic finials to the forward-facing gables of the early range. Interior not accessible but probably contains many orignal features.

Listing NGR: SO9225418583

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
135085
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12899/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian L Crossley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].