CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, COURT ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1091767 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 17:25:30.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, COURT ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Tewkesbury (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 89088 17031
BROCKWORTH COURT ROAD
SO 81 NE
3/44 Church of St George
Anglican parish church, consecrated 1142, rebuilt C14, altered and restored c1847. Coursed squared and dressed limestone with an ashlar tower. Nave with south porch, south transept and north aisle. Tower at the junction of the nave and chancel. Vestry on the north side of the tower. C20 prefabricated extension to the vestry not of special interest. Projecting gabled porch probably rebuilt C19 with diagonal buttresses and pointed entrance with a double-chamfered pointed-arched head with a moulded hood and head stops. Monument to Elizabeth, wife of Peter Herbert of Hucclecote and other members of that family on the left-hand return of the porch. South transept with a restored pointed 2-light window with a moulded hood and carved head stops to the south facing gable. Three-stage tower with C12 lower stages, upper stage rebuilt C19. External buttressed stair turret with a studded plank door within a flat-chamfered pointed-arched surround. Two-light window to the right of the stair turret with reticulated tracery and moulded hood with carved head stops; buttress with offsets to the right. Upper stage: 2-light belfry windows with hoods with carved head stops and battlemented parapet. The belfry windows are set within rectangular recesses with corbelled decoration at the top. Chancel with diagonal buttresses. Two 2-light pointed windows with hoods with carved head stops flanking a small studded priest's door within a moulded surround between the two windows. Three-light C14 east window with reticulated tracery and a hood with carved head stops. Two-light pointed windows with quatrefoils on the north side. Moulded eaves cornice. Lean-to vestry with plank door at the'east end, within a pointed-arched surround with a hood with head stops, now concealed by a C20 prefabricated extension. Projecting stack flanked by C19 trefoil-headed lancets. North wall. of the north aisle: two 2-light windows with hollow-moulded mullions and surrounds with double cavetto and quirked mouldings and quatrefoils flanking a studded plank north door with fillets within a moulded surround matching that around the windows. Larger 2-light window with a quatrefoil within a deep flat-chamfered surround far left. Stepped coping with roll-cross saddles. Upright cross finial at the east end of the chancel. Plastered interior: 4-bay nave with C19 queen post roof trusses with curved bracing; wagon roof to the north aisle. Probably early C16, flat panelled roof to the south transept with bosses and frieze with vine scroll ornament in the south transept. Flat plank ceiling to crossing. C19 wagon roof to chancel with a casement- moulded wallplate with ballflower ornament. Four-bay C14 nave arcade with octagonal piers and bases on square plinths and moulded capitals with ballflower ornament and double-chamfered pointed arches. Double-chamfered pointed arch to the south transept. C12 round-headed arch of three orders to the crossing with engaged columns with scalloped capitals; chevron decoration to the outer arches, roll-moulded inner arch. Plank door within a roll pointed arch from the north wall of the crossing to the vestry. C12 chancel arch of two orders with chevron and roll mouldings rising from massive circular piers with scalloped capitals with imposts with inset corners. C19 wrought iron screen within the archway. C14 column piscina with a moulded arched head in the south wall of the chancel. Marble facing to the lower half of the walls within the santuary; statues of St. George with a crocketed canopy to the right of the altar, similar statue to the left. Piscina with a flat-chamfered pointed head within the south transept. Flagged floors to the nave and crossing, decorative encaustic tiling to the chancel. C12 tub font inside the south door. C19 organ in the crossing. Two C19 seventeenth century style chairs; C19 Neo- Norman style wooden altar with three round-headed blind arches with chevroned decoration: figure of Christ surrounded by cherubim and seraphim painted on the central arch with the figures of two women in the arches either side. Monuments on the nave south wall: Baroque monument to John Jones, died 1747 and Sarah his wife, died 1776: lugged inscription panel, gadrooning across the bottom, egg and tongue moulded at the top, pair of winged cherubs and heraldic shield at the top. White and grey marble momument to the right to John Jones of Coopers Hill, died 1793. White and grey marble monument to John Jones of Coopers Hill, died 1828. Three C20 memorials below. White and grey monument to Elizabeth wife of Henry Yates Jones of Droy's Court, died 1840 and other members of that family. Monuments on the nave north wall: monument to William Young, died 1762. Two early C20 on the east wall of the nave. Monument in the north aisle to Susannah, wife of John Lawrence, died 1724 and three children. Three heads representing the deceased at the top, bolstered inscription panel with swags and flowers and scrollwork either side. Four skulls at the base. Two commandment boards, probably C18 in date, with inset segmental heads within the crossing. Five C19 simple marble monuments in the chancel. Fine marble monument to Christopher Guise, died 1670 with inscription in Latin: bust of the deceased inset into wall surrounded by fruit and foliage, heraldic shield, crowned swan and cherubs at the top. Stained glass: C19 stained glass by Wailes in the east window. C19 stained glass in the west window of the nave, one window in the nave south wall, and one window in the north aisle. (D. Verey, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980).
Listing NGR: SO8908417032
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing