CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1091804

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1091804 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 07:19:31.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury (District Authority)

Parish: Stanway

National Grid Reference: SP 05485 31404

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STANWAY DIDBROOK SP 03 SE 4/103 Church of St George 4.7.60 GV I Parish Church. C13, late C15, C18, minor alterations C19. Roughly coursed, squared stone or random rubble, ashlar dressings, ashlar to tower and west end nave; stone slate roof. Nave, chancel, western tower. West facade: 3-stage tower, clasped by nave each side. Angled buttress to nave each side, moulded plinth, angled buttress to tower. Boarded door in 2 leaves, old iron hinges, small door cut in one leaf, moulded surround, 4-centred arch, sunk spandrels, hoodmould. Three-light window over, Perpendicular tracery, casement moulding, hoodmould; string course, 2-light mullioned window, cusped heads to lights, hoodmould; string course with gargoyles at corners, crenellated parapet, crocketed corner finials. South side: angle buttress to corner, moulded plinth, 2- light window, behind casement moulding, reticulated tracery, wide buttress. No plinth to east: 2-light window with Y tracery, iron opening light, replacing doorway. Ashlar masonry stops to east: blind lancet, 3-light window, Perpendicular tracery, casement moulding to outside, iron opening light. Square-set buttress just beyond line of east gable to nave. Gabled parapet west end; tower with angled buttresses, dripmould over roof, lancet, string course: above as west end, but with two lead chutes to drain roof. Chancel, slightly set back from nave, two 2-light Perpendicular windows, deep chamfer, flat heads; between windows boarded door, 4-centred arch, panelled spandrels, hoodmould. Angled buttress, parapet gable, cross on apex. East end angled buttresses, 3-light Perpendicular window, deep chamfer, hoodmould with circular stops. Headstone against wall below. North elevation: chancel with plinth, 2 windows as south. Nave: buttress as south, plinth; 3- light Perpendicular window, casement moulding, offset to wall just below eaves; buttress. Two-light window, Y tracery, lean-to cover to boiler room below, stove-pipe flue; buttress; 2-light window with reticulated tracery, aisled buttress. Tower above as south side. Interior: tower supported by 2 octagonal piers, moulded bases and caps, asymmetrical arches across 'aisles', giving 3-arch screen to nave proper. Wide nave, elliptical chancel arch, Roman Doric pilasters, moulded head, plain keystone; panelling each side, with further pilasters in corners. Above, exposed gable truss, close studding below collar, king strut and feather bracing above. Tomb recess in north wall, foiled head, foliate cross slab below. Tie- beam trusses with collar and double angle struts; one truss with inserted collar; 2 pairs butt purlins with windbraces: plaster ceiling removed, probably C19. Chancel: door recess on north, probably for rood stairs; piscina; C17 communion rails, turned balusters, moulded rail. Braced collar rafter roof, with ashlar pieces, at one time plastered. Wine-glass pulpit, fielded panelling to sides, with wide reading shelf; octagonal sounding board over, panelled underside, projecting corners, moulded edge. Semi-octagonal reading desk below, made up from C15 panelling. Pews, probably C17, plain ends, moulded top; panelled, probably early C19 box pew, seats and backs faced cloth. Octagonal stone font, blind arcading to stem and bowl. Two chests, one leather covered, one iron straps; 2 hatchments. 1735 marble wall monument to Richard Tracy, with Ionic columns, gadrooning below; 1791 wall monument. Some medieval glass reset in east window. Church partly rebuilt c1475 for William Whitchurch, Abbot of Hailes, referred to in contemporary inscription in east window. Font 1858 for W. Edwards; tomb recess in nave C19. (Kelly's Gloucestershire Directory, 1894; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Cotswolds, 1970, Cotswold Churches, 1976)

Listing NGR: SP0548431405

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 134889

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
Verey, D, Cotswold Churches, (1976)
'Kellys Directory' in Gloucestershire, (1894)
'Kellys Directory' in Gloucestershire, (1894)

End of official listing