CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1091828
Date first listed:
04-Jul-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1091828 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 04:37:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Stanton
National Grid Reference:
SP 06889 34313

Details

STANTON CHURCH LANE SP 0634-0734 (west side) 11/62 Church of St Michael and All Angels 4.7.60 GV I Parish church. C12, C14, C15, C16, C17, late C19 by Blomfield; early C20 by Comper. Roughly squared, coursed stone, ashlar dressings and spire; stone to chancel better squared; lead flat; stone slates. Nave and aisles, south porch, west tower, transepts, chancel. South facade; 3-stage tower on left, diagonal corner buttress, boarded door with semi-circular fanlight, 2-piece stone lintel. Lancet above; string course, 2-light reticulated-tracery window, stone louvres, hoodmould; string course, corner gargoyles, crenellated parapet, octagonal spire, rolls to arrises, lucarne with trefoil head and louvres; leaf finial, weathervane. Nave: square-set corner buttress, 3-light Perpendicular window, 2 tiers of small tracery in top, low arch. Porch projects, front wall extended each side as buttress, boarded door up one stone-step, arched head; ogee-headed niche with statue over; 2-light window above. Two-light window right return. Aisle window on right of porch as left. String course to aisle and porch, crenellated parapet over, crocketed corner finials. Behind, 4-light stone- mullioned dormer to nave, semi-circular heads to lights, pedimented gable. Transept projects on right: 4-light Perpendicular window, king mullion, casement moulding. Parapet gable, cross-gablet apex. Lancet on right return: parapet gable to nave, single-arched bellcote on ridge. Chancel, string course at windowsill level, 2 lancets, small, corner buttresses, parapet gable, cross-gablet apex with cross. East wall, 4-light Perpendicular window behind casement moulding. North facade: chancel as south. Transept, 2- light window, trefoil heads left return; 2-light with reticulated tracery in gable; boarded door down stone steps below. Parapet gable, cross-gablet apex. North aisle, 2-light window, hollow chamfer, semi-circular heads to lights, sunk spandrels, hoodmould. Four-light Perpendicular window, king mullion, hoodmould. Above gabled dormer, 3-light casement; parapet gable merging into tower buttress. Tower as on south, but without door and lancet. West, tower as north side; originally with 2 wall monuments, moulded cap only left of one, other E. Harp, 1858. Gable of south aisle, 3- light window as south side. Interior: stone bench in porch, 2 steps down to nave. Nave, stone paved: north arcade circular pillars, scalloped capitals, water- holding bases, semi-circular arches. South arcade octagonal pillars, moulded capitals, 4-centred arches, grotesque heads over. Western galley, panelled front over 4 octagonal pillars: stair with splat balusters in north aisle. Chancel screen and rood loft, 2-lights each side door, Perpendicular tracery, pelican in piety, cross and 2 statues over (1923). Collar rafter roof, straight braces, moulded cornice, cambered tie-beams on wallposts. Rafter roof to north aisle, dado panelling; south aisle moulded beams and purlins, exposed rafters. North transept, plastered walls and ceiling; aumbry; remains medieval wall paintings, 2 panels from medieval chancel screen, passage squint to chancel. South transept, dado panelling, piscina and aumbry; squint. Chancel carved reredos as War Memorial. C17 panelled octagonal pulpit on stem, sounding board over; reading desk semi-octagonal, made up of C15 fragments. Late C19 poppy-head pews. Early C16 octagonal stone font, quatrefoils on sides, blind arcading to stem. Two benefactions boards, various C17 and later wall monuments. Medieval glass reset in east window with new, 1918, by Sir Ninian Comper. Chancel rebuilt and dormers added 1874, north aisle 1896. (J.C. Cox, Gloucestershire, 1920; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1970, Cotswold Churches, 1976)

Listing NGR: SP0688634320

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
134844
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
Verey, D, Cotswold Churches, (1976)
Charles Cox, J, 'The Little Guides' in Gloucestershire, ()

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/16125/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].