Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1095216.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2021 at 06:20:36.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Winchester (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 56221 36154


SU 53 NE NORTHINGTON NORTHINGTON Grange Park 6/9 5.12.55 The Grange

I Country house. 1670-3 by William Samwell for Sir Robert Henley, encased and remodelled 1804 - 9 by William Wilkins for Henry Drummond, added to, 1817 by Sir Robert Smirke, 1823-5 and 1852 by C R Cockerell, 1868-70 by John Cox, for Sir Francis Baring, later Lord Ashburton and his descendants, shell and roof restored by DoE 1980-82. Brick with stone dressings, encased in stucco, roof slate. Originally 9 bay sides with projecting centre 3 and end bays, and 7 bay ends with projecting centre 3 bays and blind end bays, 2 storeys and attic on raised basement. W Front revealed by demolition of additions and restored by DoE. Wilkins work important early example of Greek Revival. He encased existing house to create 9 bay sides with giant pilasters, pro- jecting centre 3 bays with 4 square piers, and massive entablature, with wreaths in frieze, to hide attic and roof. To E end he added a large Greek Doric portico, 6 columns wide and 2 deep, overlooking falling ground to the lake. The basement was concealed by a massive stucco, with stone coping, podium on E and S sides and raised ground on other sides. Most of the addi- tions have gone except for Cockerell's conservatory (q.v.) and Cox's 2nd floor windows inserted in frieze. The house stands on a promontory over- looking the lake, landscaped by Robert Adam, with the remains of terraces to the S and E and with wide views over the wooded park. A Scheduled Ancient Monument, now in DoE guardianship. 10 days to Save the Grange; SAVE: 1979. The Grange, Hampshire; John Redmill; Country Life; May 8 and May 15, 1975. Buildings of England, Hampshire; Pevsner; 1967; P.258-9.

Listing NGR: SU5627137326


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Ten days to Save the Grange, (1979)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 258-9
Redmill, J, The Grange Hampshire
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1975)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 19 Hampshire,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/02365/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Micaela Basford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].