CHAPEL AND CREMATORIUM AT WHITLEY BAY CEMETERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1096121
Date first listed:
09-May-2003
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL AND CREMATORIUM AT WHITLEY BAY CEMETERY, THE LINKS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1096121.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2020 at 05:38:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAPEL AND CREMATORIUM AT WHITLEY BAY CEMETERY, THE LINKS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 34566 74468

Details

1022/0/10040 THE LINKS 09-MAY-03 Chapel and Crematorium at Whitley Bay Cemetery

GV II*

Cemetery chapel and crematorium. Designed by Edward Cratney of Newcastle. 1913 with C20 alterations. Coursed blue/grey granite with ashlar dressings. Westmorland slate roofs with coped gables and kneelers. The main chapel has projecting tower with large double-canted arched doorway with moulded ashlar surround and elaborate oak double doors. Tower has angle buttresses and 3 louvred and flat-headed bell-openings to each face. Above a deep parapet with chamfered coping and single raised merlons at each corner. Tower is topped by octagon spire clad in copper sheeting with a tall finial. Entrance to tower flanked by single storey, flat-headed wings each with a pair of double-canted arched windows with moulded surrounds. Entrance to crematorium to right with similar double-canted archway. Side facade has three tall lancet windows with double-canted arched heads. Either side are cast iron drainpipes with elaborate lead rainwater heads inscribed 1913. Tall crematorium chimney extended late C20. INTERIOR of cemetery chapel has very fine quality Arts & Crafts style plaster decoration carried out by G P Bankart and similar style wooden fittings carried out by J P Bertram & Sons. Plaster decoration includes over-doors to main entrances on either side both with flanking angels in shallow relief holding banner inscribed "Watch for ye know not the hour" and "The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh". Deeply moulded plaster cornice decorated with vines and grapes. Curved arched ceiling with rectangular panels divided by moulded plaster bands, the central section linking the flanking doors has pairs of angels and thicker and more elaborate bands decorated with lilies and peacocks. This more elaborate decoration continues over the ritual east end of the chapel. Dado panelling and wooden pews with rounded carved pew ends. G P Bankart (1866-1929) was one of the leading plasterers of the early twentieth century. He carried out much of the plasterwork on Cardiff City Hall and Law Courts by Lanchester, Stewart & Rickards. He was a prominent member of the Arts Worker's Guild who wrote important books on the subject; 'The Art of the Plasterer in England' (1908) and with his son G E Bankart 'Modern Plasterwork Construction' (1926) and 'Modern Plasterwork Design' (1927).

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
490087
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].