TOMBSTONE TO SIR PERCY HARRIS, BART, ST NICHOLAS CHURCHYARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1096142
Date first listed:
28-Feb-2003
Statutory Address:
TOMBSTONE TO SIR PERCY HARRIS, BART, ST NICHOLAS CHURCHYARD, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOMBSTONE TO SIR PERCY HARRIS, BART, ST NICHOLAS CHURCHYARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1096142 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 22:36:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOMBSTONE TO SIR PERCY HARRIS, BART, ST NICHOLAS CHURCHYARD, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Hounslow (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 21405 77697

Details



787/0/10145 CHURCH STREET 28-FEB-03 Chiswick Tombstone to Sir Percy Harris, Bart, S t Nicholas Churchyard

GV II*



Monument to Sir Percy Harris, Bt., MP (d.1952). Funerary relief. Portland stone. By Bainbridge Copnall (d.1973). A tall rectangular relief on a stepped base bearing an inscription. The relief depicts the resurrection of the dead, and shows rising naked figures (some with 1920s bobbed hair) amid crosses in a cemetery; above hovers a winged angel. The reverse is plain. HISTORY: this was a youthful work by the prominent 20th century sculptor Bainbridge Copnall, and was carved in the late 1920s. It was acquired by Harris for display in his garden at Morton House, Chiswick Mall, and subsequently transferred to his grave. Symbolically it is indebted to the work of Stanley Spencer, and is of great interest as one of the very last funerary depictions of the Christian theme of the rising of the dead at the Last Judgment. Stylistically it is indebted to the Vorticist Wyndham Lewis. Harris was a prominent Liberal politician, sitting as an MP and serving as deputy leader of the London County Council. His book London and its Government (1913) was the standard work on metropolitan municipal government. Copnall served as President of the Royal Society of British Sculptors 1961-66 and is best known for his decorative carving in the Royal Institute of British Architects' building, opened in 1934. This is a monument of very high quality, and of historic, sculptural and symbolic interest.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
490108
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].