CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1096452
Date first listed:
12-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1096452.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:55:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
South Derbyshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Coton in the Elms
National Grid Reference:
SK 24366 15413

Details

SK 21 NW PARISH OF COTN IN THE ELMS CHURCH STREET 2/10 (East Side) Church of St Mary II

Parish church. 1844-6 by Stevens of Derby in Dec style with late C19 northern organ bay. Tooled ashlar with stone dressings and chamfered plinth. Steeply pitched fishscale tile roof with lapped stone copings to gables and chamfered eaves band. Three stage west tower, nave and lower chancel plus north organ bay. Tower has stepped angle buttresses up to the top of the second stage to its western corners, chamfered bands between each stage and a polygonal staircase turret in south-eastern corner against the nave with a lapped stone roof. West elevation has a keel moulded pointed door with attached shafts and double studded wooden doors. Above there is a 2-light pointed window with cusped Y-tracery. North and south elevations are blank. Above there are 2-light pointed, louvred bell openings with cusped Y-tracery to north, south and west sides, that to west with a clock face to base. Embattled parapets and recessed thin spire over with gableted lucarnes on four sides. North nave elevation has four pointed 2-light cusped Y-tracery windows with almost full height stepped buttresses to corners and between the windows. C17 style north vestry to east has 2-light mullion window to north and chamfered pointed doorcase to east with hoodmould. East elevation of chancel has pointed 4-light window with geometric cusped tracery flanked by stepped angle buttresses. South elevation of chancel has a single moulded lancet with cusped tracery to top and south elevation of nave similar to north elevation. All original openings have hoodmoulds with block-like stops. Interior has tall pointed continuous moulded chancel and tower arches, that to tower mostly blocked in. Chancel has moulded four-centred arch into the northern organ bay and also a small pointed arch from the organ bay into the nave giving access to the pulpit. Chancel roof is a pointed barrel vault with painted decoration and nave has arched braced trusses. Dec style oak rood screen with central doors, chancel panelling, oak altar rails and simple oak choir stalls are all of 1946, given by parishioners to celebrate the centenary of the church, as recorded on a plaque to south of the rood screen. Organ is late C19 and has quatrefoil decorations. Nave has its original plain box-like pews and a late C19 octagonal pulpit on octagonal stem with cusped panelled sides and small colonnettes to each corner. West end of nave has a screened-off C20 vestry to south side and stone font to north side with octagonal stem and bowl, each side decorated with cusped mouchettes. To south side of font there are pierced wooden rails and to north side five pointed backed chairs, both were probably part of the original chancel fittings. The chancel has one white marble wall memorial of 1858 to Rev Echalaz and the nave has two wall memorials, one c1918 to Arthur Holmes and the other of c1916 to Norman Holtby. West end of nave has brass plaque recording that the clock was given in memory of William Heath who died 1924 and in the tower there is a painted plaque recording that the chapel was erected 1845-6 and free sittings were provided by grant from the Incorporated Society. East window has brightly coloured glass, probably c1845, to top panels and nave has two early C20 stained glass windows and one of c1871 in memory of Lady Horton of Catton.

Listing NGR: SK2436615413

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
82942
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16449/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Jefferson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].