Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1096490.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:39:24.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Derbyshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 36924 22344


PARISH OF CALKE CALKE PARK SK 32 SE 4/20 19-1-67 Church of St Giles II GV Private chapel. Rebuilt in 1826-8. Sandstone ashlar, roof hidden behind parapets. Chamfered plinth and moulded band at the base of the parapet. West tower, undivided nave and chancel. Tower and nave have diagonal buttresses and tall battlemented parapets, with three cross finials on the east gable. The undivided west tower has to north and south a deeply set broad low lancet with gothick glazing bars. Larger 2-light window above also deeply set and with tracery as in the nave. The west elevation has a pointed doorway with hollow moulding and panelled double doors with gothic tracery. 2-light louvred opening above with Y-tracery. Nave and chancel of three bays with to north and south three 2-light windows with cast iron reticulated tracery and geometric glazing bars, made by a Derby firm. Set in deep double chamfered surrounds. 3-light east window with reticulated tracery. All the windows have moulded hoodmoulds. The east window is flanked by four-centred arched sunk panels with inscribed slabs set in. Interior: West gallery with gothic panelled front. Four-centred arch above to organ loft with hoodmould on headstops. The organ set in has a gothic case with castellated top. Four-centred arched plaster ceiling divided by slender moulded beams into squares with floriat bosses. Coved cornice. Simple open-backed gothic pews and squire's box pew with gothic panelled sides, linked to a two-decker reading desk. Octagonal wooden pulpit with two tiers of thinly gothic panels. Jacobean Style dado to east wall. Spindly cast metal gothic communion rails around three sides. Stained glass in the east window c1844, pictoral and with bright colours, very characteristic of the period. Monument: On the north side in a segmental arched recess behind iron railings by Robert Bakewell (though probably altered). To Sir John Harpur +1741, by Sir Henry Cheere. Sarcophagus flanked by busts with cherubs below and the usual pyramid above. Excellent quality. On the south side a large carved tablet to Sir John Harpur Crewe, Ninth Baraonet +1886. Font with tapering circular bowl on a base of clustered shafts. Lozenge pattern stone flagged floor with circular brass grills, one inscribed Harrison Derby 1828. Three lozenge hatchments. The interior is a well preserved example of a late Georgian interior and is more characteristic of the time than the exterior which looks forward to the more serious C19 gothic revival.

Listing NGR: SK3692422344


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 10 Derbyshire,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15734/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Gay Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].