CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1096553
Date first listed:
04-Sep-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, SCROPTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1096553.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:51:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, SCROPTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
South Derbyshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Foston and Scropton
National Grid Reference:
SK 19288 30190

Details

SK 13 SE PARISH OF FOSTON & SCROPTON SCROPTON LANE 2/20 (South Side) Church of St Paul GV II

Parish church. 1855-6 by Benjamin Ferrey. Rock faced sandstone with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs. West tower, nave with south porch and chancel with lean-to north vestry. Dec Style. The west tower has a west dooray with three lancets above, a single lancet to south and 2-light bell openings. Tiled pyramid roof. The north elevation of the nave has two single light windows with a cusped trefoil over a cusped lancet, and two 2-light windows with trefoils. 2-light chancel north window of cusped lancets with elongated quatrefoil over. East window of three trefoiled lancets with trefoils and quatrefoils above. The south side of the chancel has a 2-light and a 3-light window with trefoils and quatrefoils. The south side of the nave has a single light and two 2-light windows similar to those on the north side. Impressive south porch with long steep roof. The interior has ashlar walls and arched and scissor braced roofs, with cusped braces in the nave. Moulded tower and chancel arches. Font, mid C19 with circular bowl with tracery motifs on a base of clustered shafts. Mid C19 pews and organ case. Gothic Style stone and marble plinth. Classical Style altar and reredos with painted panels of saints. Wrought iron and brass communion rails. Oak choir stalls. In the south east corner of the nave, incised slab to William Schower, died 1495. Tombchest under the tower to Nicholas Agard and his two wives c1510. On the front of the alabaster tombchest, angels holding shields under ogee canopies and plain panels with shields. Wall tablet c1704 with Tuscan columns and segmental pediment. Illegible inscription. Painted decoration around the chancel arch, and on either side metal panels painted with the commandments. Stained glass, nave north, c1930 by Westlake. Chancel south east, c1929 by Kempe & Tower. East window. has non-pictorial glass, 1856 by Powells.

Listing NGR: SK1928830190

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
82674
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jan 2007
Reference: IOE01/15957/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Lewis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].