SANDSFOOT CASTLE REMAINS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1096763

Date first listed: 12-Dec-1953

Statutory Address: SANDSFOOT CASTLE REMAINS, OLD CASTLE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SANDSFOOT CASTLE REMAINS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1096763 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 11:49:53.

Location

Statutory Address: SANDSFOOT CASTLE REMAINS, OLD CASTLE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SY 67482 77372

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEYMOUTH

SY67NE OLD CASTLE ROAD 873-1/4/242 (East side) 12/12/53 Sandsfoot Castle, remains

II*

Coastal fort, now ruined. c1541. For Henry VIII. Portland rubble core with remains of ashlar in parts. One of Henry VIII's coastal forts, built at a cost of ยป3887-4s-1d. PLAN: originally a central block of 2 storeys and basement, with NW entrance gate, and an octagonal gun-room on the seaward side. The outer walls with gatehouse remain in part, much decayed, but the gun-room has practically disappeared through coastal erosion. EXTERIOR: the entry front has remains of the left side of the gatehouse over an entry with straight-sided low arch, with remains of walling each side, unfaced. The right side has remains of walling to basement, ground and first floors, with substantial ashlar remnants to the upper level with 4 large openings to deep reveals on 4-centred heads over square openings, and very steep sloping sills. Beneath, in unfaced walling, are 6 lights to peaked heads, with 5 square-headed openings to the basement. The opposite flank has 4 deep casements, in some ashlar facing, above 4 openings to the main level; the basement level is below ground level on this side. INTERIOR: is completely unroofed and without floors or fittings except for remains of a fireplace and doorways at the seaward end. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building suffered early erosion, already referred to in 1584, was abandoned for military use in 1644-5, and used as a store until 1691. It has importance as one of the coastal defences built for Henry VIII; the corresponding Portland Castle (see Portland) is still complete. RCHME has drawings of the ruins (p.337). (RCHME: Dorset, South-East: London: 1970-: 336-337).





Listing NGR: SY6748277372

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 467774

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset II South East, (1970), 336-337

End of official listing