NEWLAND BLAST FURNACE AND ATTACHED ANCILLARY BUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1096782
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1993
Statutory Address:
NEWLAND BLAST FURNACE AND ATTACHED ANCILLARY BUILDINGS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1096782.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 04:41:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
NEWLAND BLAST FURNACE AND ATTACHED ANCILLARY BUILDINGS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Egton with Newland
National Grid Reference:
SD 29998 79709

Details

SD 37 NW EGTON WITH NEWLAND NEWLAND

1255/3/10000 Newland Blast Furnace, and attached Ancillary Buildings 14.4.93

GV II*

Iron-making furnace, and attached ancillary buildings, now either disused, or used as stores. Late C18 or earlier with later additions; remodelled to facilitate firing with coke, 1874, closure in 1891, and restoration, commenced 1991, continuing at time of inspection. Blast furnace, intended for charcoal firing, later adapted to coke firing, and with remains of casting house to south, blowing house; formerly with charging house above, to west, and ancillary buildings to east and south-west. Roughly coursed lakeland slatestone, with sandstone quoining to some external walls, and green westmorland slate roof coverings, laid to diminishing courses. Blast furnace, a now truncated, tapered square tower, with tapered and bellied circular firebrick lined furnace chamber within, now partially collapsed on west side. External wall to north, east and west walls, enclosed by attached buildings and south wall, with tapping arch, into now roofless casting shed. North elevation; stepped range of buildings of three parts. Further tower off centre, roofless, and with massive regular quoins, and a blocked inserted vent. To the east, low two bay, two storey building of rubble stone and firebrick with inserted C20 garage door and double opening above, now blocked. Inserted doorway to west, with firebrick quoining below massive timber lintel. To west of furnace, taller three-storeyed range with profile of former attached wheelhouse for water-powered blowing engine, and seatings for former roof timbers visible. Opening for water course overflow to west end of elevation. North gable with blocked double doorway to upper storey from ramped ground. South elevation with partial reconstruction of east end above courses of horizontally-set roof slate. T o the west, shallow brick arch springs from low brick retaining wall at angle of main range and east sidewall of former casting house. Furnace bay with massive segmental arch, built in firebrick to tapping opening, defined by splayed walling of great thickness. Further to west, wide, semi-circular arch-headed opening from former blowing house, and a blocked, segmentally-arched opening further west. West end bay with massive inserted timber beam, supported by cast iron column, with inner wall 1 metre wide inside line of outer wall. Interior: Firebrick lined furnace, with tuyere arch and associated masonry having collapsed on west side, and undergoing restoration, following insertion of massive time beam. Mounting blocks of former blowing engine to north-west corner of blowing house, west of furnace. Floor beams to former charging floor above. Walls to former casting house enclose open area to south, with two arched openings to east wall, and shallow gable above. Attached ancillary building to south-west, with single casement window to west elevation and blank wall onto casting house area. The Newland Furnace represents the late survival of charcoal iron-making on the west coast of Britain, and in the mid C 19, exerted a controlling influence in the industry, from sites in Newland, Bonall in Scotland, and Warsash on Southampton water. The ironworks closed in 1891.



Listing NGR: SD2999879709

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
468419
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/15845/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Peters. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].