CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1096813
Date first listed:
27-Jun-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH PLAIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1096813.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 02:37:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH PLAIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Great Yarmouth (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 52435 08036

Details

GREAT YARMOUTH

TG5208SW CHURCH PLAIN 839-1/11/22 (North side) 27/06/53 Church of St Nicholas

GV II*

Parish church. Founded in association with a Benedictine Priory 1101 by Bishop Herbert de Losinga and completed in 1119. The base of the tower is early C12, the remainder rebuilt in stages throughout C13. Derelict state in C17 and C18: north nave aisle removed 1705, replaced 1847 by JH Hakewill. East end rebuilt 1813 by PH Wyatt, again rebuilt and lengthened 1862 by JP Seddon. Further restorations in 1847, 1862 and 1889 (the last by JL Pearson). Fire-bombed in 1942 and gutted completely leaving only the external walls, most of which were by then C19, rebuilt 1957-60 by Stephen Dykes Bower. Flint, mostly knapped, and ashlar dressings. Copper roof cladding. PLAN: cruciform plan of nave, nave aisles, transepts with central tower, chancel and chancel aisles. EXTERIOR: the west front presents 3 gables, the central one lit through 3 early C13 lancets over an arched and moulded doorway. Wide south aisle added c1250 showing 3 stepped lancets each with 2 Y-tracery lights and cusping of C19 design. Punched trefoils in the spandrels. Equally wide north aisle of 1847 lit through stepped lancets with Y-tracery. 4 polygonal turrets with C19 pinnacles. 8 nave aisle bays, the windows to the south side of 3 lights each of Geometric Decorated design. Gabled south porch with an arched and moulded doorway, corner pinnacles and flushwork panelling. Inside a 2-bay quadripartite rib-vault and an inner doorway with 3 orders of shafts carrying stiff-leaf capitals. Two 3-light flowing side windows. The porch restored in 1991. The north nave aisle has seven 3-light Perpendicular windows of C20 origin and a re-used C13 doorway with multiple roll mouldings and a string course carried over it. In the angle with the north transept is an altar tomb of 1851 protected by iron railings. 7-light transept windows with Decorated tracery; angle pinnacles again. The chancel has 3-light cusped north and south windows and a 5-light east window by JP Seddon. In the angles between the chancel and the transepts are various low C19 and C20 vestries. The tower has an arcade of C12 arches, then a string course below round-arched windows lighting the ringing chamber. The belfry is almost all 1862, by Seddon: 3 tall lancets to each face, a punched parapet and corner pinnacles.

INTERIOR: 4-bay nave arcade entirely of 1957, in design and execution: rectangular piers with engaged shafts and fan capitals. Boarded nave and aisle roofs. The west end has an internal wall passage. Wide arches from the aisles into the transepts and 4 transept arches re-cased in C19. The chancel has 5 aisles (since 1960), the outer 2 aisles separated by a 4-bay octagonal arcade of 1960. Pitched boarded central roof, flat boarded aisle roofs. Chancel pulpitum with 2 arched C13 doors decorated with quatrefoils in the jambs and in the arch and with encircled quatrefoils in the spandrels. Norman octagonal font with a 12-sided bowl with waterleaf decoration from Highway, Wiltshire. Simple nave pews from St George's, Yarmouth, 1714. Panelled pulpit also from St George's. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North-east Norfolk and Norwich: Harmondsworth: 1962-: 143-146).



Listing NGR: TG5243508036

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
468451
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North East Norfolk and Norwich, (1962), 143-146

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/13055/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Parker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].