This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER BRENTFORD FIRE STATION

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER BRENTFORD FIRE STATION

List entry Number: 1096874

Location

FORMER BRENTFORD FIRE STATION, 55, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Hounslow

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 439902

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

High Street, Brentford TQ 1877 and TQ 1777 NE (south-east side) 18/232 and 14/232 No 55 II (Former Brentford Fire Station)

Fire station, now office. 1897 by T H Nowell Parr for Brentford District Council,converted late C20. Red brick in Flemish bond with terracotta dressings; imitation Welsh slate roof with crested terracotta ridge tiles. 2 storeys with 3-storey bay at rear. 3 bays below paired gables. Chamfered plinth; moulded cornices and strings; moulded buttresses with decorative finials, to angles rising from ground floor impost level, and to gables which are set with decorative tiles. Openings have late C20 glazing with glazing bars and quoined round arches; the 2 ground floor engine entrances have pilaster jambs with fluted capitals; quoined jambs to the three windows above; the outer windows linked to entrances below by broad, swept, corbels; foundation stone between entrances and plaque above with the legend 'Fire Station', and District's coat of arms. Truncated lateral stack to right return, left bay, rising above 3-light mullioned and transomed window with segmental pediment; on the right is window and door with 4 sashes over and another to taller rear bay; parapet with moulded strings and parapet. Left return: taller rear bay has full-height round-arched window with keyed archivolt; round-arched doorway to its right, and two lst floor sashes; 2 truncated stacks breaking parapet. Rear: central corbelled lateral stack (truncated) flanked by sashes which are segmental-arched on ground and 1st floors. Interior: late C20 partitioning and mezzanine floor. At top of rear left bay (the escape and hose tower) are 12 rings in the ceiling from which hoses would have been hung.

Listing NGR: TQ1800277565

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 18002 77565

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1096874 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2018 at 11:22:42.

End of official listing