This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1097645



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stokeinteignhead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 86035

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



17/392 Church of St Andrew 23.8.55


Parish church. Late C14/15, chancel 1867 (Pevsner), major restoration of 1894 by Tait and Harvey. Rendered except for the red sandstone chancel, slate roofs. Plan: Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south transepts, 4-bay north and south aisles. South porch (no longer in use), north porch, north-east vestry. Perpendicular, with a substantial late C19 restoration. Decorated chancel of 1867. Exterior: Most of the windows are untraceried, presumably dating from the C18 or early C19 when the mullions but not the medieval tracery were replaced. C19 Decorated style chancel with diagonal buttresses, 3-light C19 decorated east window with carved label stops, two 2-light C19 Decorated windows on the south side, one on the north side which also has a C19 lean-to vestry with a moulded doorway in the east end and 3-light window to the north. North transept with a 3-light Perpendicular east window and a 3-light C19 Decorated north window, the south transept has an untraceried 3-light south window and similar east window, which appears to be a late C19 copy of other windows in the church. The south aisle with a diagonal south-west buttress, has a 3-light Perpendicular west window with some mullion and jamb replacement; three 4-light untraceried south windows. The former porch has a similar 3-light south window. The north aisle with a north west diagonal buttress has a 4-light medieval Perpendicular window to the east of the porch with decayed carved label stops, untraceried transomed window to the west of the porch with carved medieval label stops, similar 4-light west window with C19 hoodmould and label stops. Battlemented tower with diagonal buttresses and on unrendered embattled polygonal north-east stair turret. Moulded west doorway with a hoodmould and untraceried 4-light west window, large 2-light tracenied belfy openings on all 4 sides. North porch with inner moulded doorway with pyramid stops and a hoodmould; C19 boarded wagon roof with carved bosses. Interior: Unplastered walls except for the chancel; C19 timber chancel arch; double- chamfered tower arch; 4-bay north and south arcades with low red sandstone piers with corner shafts and carved capitals with broad foliage capital carving, the 3 westernmost capitals to the north arcade are different in design and possibly re-used with angel carvings divided by niches. The junction between the roof of the aisles and transepts is unusual (qv Combeinteignhead), the aisle wallplates oversail the transepts and are supported on corbels with upward curving braces. The arrangement here is probably late C19 but may be based on a medieval original. C19 boarded wagon with moulded ribs and bosses to the nave, aisles and transepts; similar open wagon to the chancel. Notable rood screen "one of the earliest surviving in Devon" (Pevsner) and dated C14 by Bond and Camm. The screen has square-headed 3-light openings with a band of heavily-cusped tracery above the centre, decorated with an ogee arch above the 2-leaf door. The oversailing rood-loft is uncoved, the rood loft stair rises from the north transept. Trefoil-headed piscina on south wall of chancel. The chancel fittings are mostly 1890s: timber reredos; mosaic and marble flooring; brass altar rail with ornamental copper spandrels, good choir stalls with carved ends and 2 canopied thrones with reading desks. Shallow arch into organ chamber, partly concealed by organ. The nave has a 1914 timber drum pulpit with traceried panels and co-eval octagonal font with carved traceried panels; 3-bay 1912 tower screen; timber eagle lectern probably also early C20. Plain late C19/early C20 benches. The remains of a holy water stoup on north wall, piscinas in east walls of both transeps. Monuments: Re- set in the sanctuary floor a brass to a priest, died 1375 (Pevsner), the earliest in Devon; several ledger stones used as paving. Unusual and very lengthy early C19 inscription tablet in chancel to the Graham family, signed Faulkner of Exeter "In memory of a family, nine of whom all suffered in their country's cause, by being either killed, drowned, wounded or dying, in service, including the father, 2 uncles, 4 brothers and 2 nephews". Other early C19 white marble wall plaques in the chancel. Black wall tablet in the south aisle to Jfet (letters unclear) Cock, died 1746. Stained Glass: 3 medieval fragments hanging in the south transept; single figures and details from a Beer design in the north transept; east window of north transept with memorial dates of 1871 and 1876 probably by Drake of Exeter; First World War memorial in east window, probably by Blanchford; south window in chancel signed Lavers Barraud and Westlake, dated 1874. Bond, F. Bligh and Camm. Dom Bede, Roodscreens and Roodlofts (1909), volume II, page 349. Pevsner, South Devon (1952). Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project.

Listing NGR: SX9156170442

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bligh Bond, F, Bede Camm, D, Roodscreens and Roodlofts, (1909), 349
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952)

National Grid Reference: SX 91561 70442


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1097645 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 09:21:52.

End of official listing