CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1098002
Date first listed:
12-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, ALL SAINTS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1098002 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:59:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, ALL SAINTS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Sidmouth
National Grid Reference:
SY 12511 87702

Details



690/1/2 ALL SAINTS ROAD 12-OCT-51 (North side) CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

II DATES OF MAIN PHASES, NAME OF ARCHITECT: 1838-40 by J H Taylor.

MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar. Slate roofs.

PLAN: Nave, chancel, transepts, N vestry

EXTERIOR: The main façade is to the S and presents the five-bay nave, S transept and chancel to the road. The style is the plain lancet architecture that was popular in the 1830s and which reused medieval detail without concerning itself with archaeological accuracy. The consequence is the curious heightening of the end gables of the nave and transepts to create effect but with a strangely disembodied character that was mocked by Pugin in his polemical volume, Contrasts. The gables and their flanking pinnacles thus rise far higher than structural necessity dictates. The moulded S doorway is placed in the S transept and is flanked by buttresses. Above the doorway is a high-set two-light cusped window. The five-bay nave has buttresses with off-sets demarcating the bays in each of which is a deeply-set plain lancet window. The W end of the nave has a moulded doorway with a two-light Y-tracery window over it. The transepts have two lancets in both their E and W walls. At the E end there is a three-sided apse with a lancet in each bay (but with cusped Y-tracery in the E window) and a buttress between the bays. All parts of the church have plain parapets which are not structurally distinguished from the walls below.

INTERIOR: The walls are plastered and whitewashed. The roofs have arch-braces to a collar which carries a king-post to the ridge. The sanctuary is floored with attractive mosaic work, no doubt of the late 19th-century. To the E is a single-storey school by S S Teulon, c.1850, enlarged to the S 1867.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The major feature of the interior is the survival of the galleries at the W end and in the transepts: each is supported on cast-iron columns. That in the nave occupies half its length. They still contain the original c1840 seating. although the fronts appear to have been replaced in later Victorian times. The seating in the body of the church was replaced in c1901 and the benches have shaped ends. They retain their numbering which is a reminder of how seats were appropriated to individual owners: the ends have umbrella holders and drip-trays. The wall behind the altar has a tripartite arched reredos which post-dates the building of the church. Either side of the E window are panels containing the Ten Commandments: the Lord's Prayer and Creed are placed in arches beneath the windows of the canting of the apse.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Parish rooms etc of c1970 N, but detached from the church.

HISTORY: All Saints was built to provide additional Anglican church accommodation as the population of Sidmouth expanded in the early/mid 19th century. The architect, John Henry Taylor (c1792-1867), was a London-based practitioner with his office in Parliament Street. He was president of the Surveyors' Club in 1838 and was one of the founding members of the RIBA in 1834. He exhibited the designs for All Saints, Sidmouth, at the Royal Academy in 1835 and 1838.

SOURCES: Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Devon, 1989, p 737. H Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, 3rd ed., 1995, p 962. REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of All Saints, Sidmouth, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is of special interest as a church of the 1830s, displaying the characteristics of the time, namely a nominal interest in Gothic forms but without the archaeological accuracy that was to become a norm from the middle of the following decade. Externally it is little altered since the time it was opened. * As with most churches of its date it was refitted in Victorian times but it retains its W, and N and S transept galleries and their original seating.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
87189
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/12982/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Beauchamp. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].