OLD CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1098648

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: OLD CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1098648 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2019 at 04:06:08.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills (District Authority)

Parish: Lower Sapey

National Grid Reference: SO 69930 60207

Details

SO 66 SE LOWER SAPEY -

1/46 Old Church of St Bartholomew, (formerly listed as remains of 29.7.59 Old Church of St Bartholomew)

GV II*

Disused church. Early C12 with C14 and early C19 alterations. Coursed rubble, quoins and dressings of travertine-like stone, plain tile roof. Chancel, nave, south porch. Chancel: south wall: blocked priest's door to west of C14 window of 2 trefoiled lights with tracery under a square head; east window: early C19 window, 2 centred head; north wall: small round- headed opening of C12; both east and north walls rendered. Nave: south wall: large C14 lancet with label beside C12 round headed window; to west of these the south porch of timber, C14, on rubble plinth, single bay roof with curved wind braces, walls weatherboarded; barge boards enriched with engrailed moulding; south door: C12 semi-circular head of a single order supported by engaged jamb shafts with sandstone scalloped capitals; door: probably C14 with strap hinges; west wall: large square headed C19 window below C12 round headed opening; north wall: blocked north door and large early C19 opening with 2 centred head. Interior: chancel: in north wall 2 square aumbries; in south wall a piscina and a square aumbry; above east window a blocked C12 window; chancel arch removed in early C19 and jambs cut back, the space was then spanned with a plastered partition with depressed arch. Roofs: possibly C14; Nave: collar rafter-roof with curved braces from rafter to collar and curved ashlar pieces, forming elliptical vault; similar, but small scale, roof over chancel; 2 tie-beams in chancel, 3 in nave; that to east of nave carries a close-studded truss. Fittings: early C19; west gallery; remnants of circular font base (font removed to Church of St Bartholomew, Harpley, Lower Sapey, qv). There are traces of medieval wall paintings on the north wall of the nave. Scheduled as an ancient monument. (VCH 4, pp 330/331). An interesting example of pre-Victorian church altera- tions. Now in care of Friends of Friendless Churches.

Listing NGR: SO6993060207

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 151579

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 330-331

End of official listing