CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1098776
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1098776.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:58:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Malvern Hills (District Authority)
Parish:
Madresfield
National Grid Reference:
SO 80484 47477

Details

MADRESFIELD CP - SO 84 NW 6/65 Church of St Mary 25.3.68 - II Church. 1866-7 by F Preedy, incorporating some material from previous church of 1852 by Edward Welby Pugin. Snecked sandstone rubble with bands of red ashlar and tile roof. Comprises a nave, north-west tower with spire, south porch, lower chancel, and north transept. The three-stage tower has bell openings of two trefoiled ogee lights under a pointed head with trefoil. The clock, in the middle stage, has a stone face. The west doorway is moulded and pointed, with gabled surround. The ribbed stone spire is set back behind an embattled parapet and has 2-light lucernes. The west window of the nave is of three trefoiled ogee lights with Geometric ,tracery under a pointed head. The north wall of the nave is of two bays and has windows of two and three trefoiled lights with pointed heads: the former has flowing tracery. The north window of the transept is of two trefoiled lights under a pointed head with quatrefoil. The chancel north window is of one trefoiled light with a trefoil below the pointed head. The south wall of the nave is of two bays and has windows of two and three tre- foiled lights with Geometric tracery. In the south chancel wall are two windows of two trefoiled lights with flowing tracery. The east window is of three cusped lights with Geometric tracery. The porch has a coped gable with cross finial and a pointed doorway moulded in two orders with angle shafts. The caps are carved with leaves and flowers. The inner doorway is also moulded and pointed, with foliated caps to the angle shafts. Interior: nave roof trusses of pine rise from carved corbels. They have short king-posts and raking struts above collars, which have short straight braces to the principals and larger curved inner braces. The pointed chancel arch is moulded in two orders, the inner one having corbelled responds and the outer one angle shafts with foliated caps. Wall painting surrounding the arch was added in 1894. An oak rood screen is carved with tracery decoration. The chancel windows have marble inner shafts. The east wall has stencilled and painted decoration. The chancel roof, re-used from Pugin's church, has archbraced collar trusses and curved wind-braces. Part of the reredos also came from the earlier church. Against the west wall of the nave is a memorial by Countess Gleichen to the Hon Edward Hugh Lygon and the Hon Richard Fitzroy Somerset, who died in South Africa in 1900 and 1899 respectively. It comprises a bronze frieze of figures in relief between mosaic bands, linking canopied figures of Obedience, Fortitude, and Loyalty. (VCH, Vol 4, p 121).

Listing NGR: SO8048447477

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
153380
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 121

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16618/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].