CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1098890
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1972
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1098890.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 04:50:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bosbury
National Grid Reference:
SO 69549 43451

Details

SO 64 SE; 6/72

BOSBURY CP, MAIN STREET (north side)

Church of Holy Trinity

06.03.67

GV

I

Parish church. Late C12 or early C13, incorporating fabric of earlier C12 building, C15 south porch and early C16 Morton Chapel by Thomas Morton, died 1511, brother of the then Archbishop of Canterbury. Church restored 1871. Coursed sandstone rubble, tiled roofs, part timber-framed south porch. Nave with north and south aisles, south porch and south Morton Chapel, chancel.

Nave: six bays with moulded corbel table and raised verges; six evenly spaced lancets light clerestory with roof of south aisle below; one C19 square-headed window with three trefoil-headed lights and lancet to west and similar lancet to east flank projecting gabled south porch with later inserted dwarf walls below framing, swept bracing to main posts and swept wind-braces to roof. C19 bargeboard to gable; Morton Chapel to east with diagonal buttresses and altered parapet (formerly embattled), two 3-light transomed windows with Perpendicular tracery, similar 4-light window without transom to east; Chancel: three bays with corbel table and raised verge, three lancet windows with round-headed doorway between two western windows; restored 4-light late C15 east window with Perpendicular tracery.

INTERIOR: six-bay arcades to north and south aisles of two chamfered orders and chamfered label, circular piers with moulded bases and trumpet-scallop capitals; single-framed rafter roof to nave, possibly C13, two-bay stone fan-vault to Morton Chapel, lean-to roofs to aisles with moulded principals and wall-plates; chancel arch of two orders, inner chamfered and outer with roll and fillet moulding, moulded bases and trumpet-scallop capitals to responds. Fittings: screen, extensively restored, C15 wooden structure of five bays, central larger door- way flanked by outer bays each with three traceried sub-divisions, ribbed coving above; font: c1200 square base with five shafts supporting square bowl with rounded concave sides; early C17 lectern with turned stem on three- armed base and supported by three scrolled struts; pulpit and reader's desk incorporate C16 and C17 fragments.

Monuments: in chancel south wall, John Harford memorial, large recessed wall monument commemorating John Harford died 1559, signed by John Guldo of Hereford 1573, pedimented surround with Corinthian columns on tall bases, semi-circular head to arched recess with Ionic capitals to pilasters, recumbent effigy in civil costume on sarcophagus supported by two lions, the whole enriched with rosettes in spandrels and large leaves and rounded in tympanum, shell motif and three panels with vases and two shields and an achievement of arms at back of recess. In north wall, large recessed wall monument commemorating Richard Harford died 1578, his wife Martha and Anthony Harford, attributed improbably to John Guldo of Hereford, caryatid-type figures possibly Adam and Eve flank central semi-circular headed arched recess with segmental pediment. Two recumbent effigies, male and female in civil costume on sarcophagus supported by two grotesque animals, the whole enriched with foliage and flock motifs and rather more primitive in style than John Harford memorial on opposite wall.

Listing NGR: SO6954843449

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
153037
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07118/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek C. Harrison. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].