CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1098909
Date first listed:
06-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1098909.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:21:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ashperton
National Grid Reference:
SO 64258 41493

Details

ASHPERTON CP CHURCH LANE SO 64 SW

5/16 Church of St Bartholomew

6.3.67

- II*

Parish church. Early C14, incorporating mid-C13 chancel arch of earlier building, late C18 west tower, and C19 south porch. Church restored 1840. Sandstone rubble, part rendered, slate roofs. West tower, nave with south porch and north and south transepts, chancel. West tower: three stages with clasping buttresses, upper string course and crenellated parapet; simple Y- tracery to vents of bell stage; south doorway in second stage with external stair. Nave: five bays; part restored single lights with ogee-heads flank gabled porch; 2-light window to gable end of south transept with trefoil- headed lights, similar window to north transept. Chancel: three bays; single ogee-headed light to west and 2-light window to east with trefoil-headed lights (similar to windows of north and south transepts); east end, 3-light traceried window with ovoid panel in render above. Interior: ceiled roof with mid-C16 moulded tie-beams; mid-C13 chancel arch of two orders with moulded captials and water-holding bases to responds of inner order, ogee-headed piscina in chancel and similar recesses in north side of east wall of nave and in south wall of south transept. Plain restored hemispherical font on cylindrical base to north of chancel arch, possibly C13 (formerly sited in churchyard), further mid-C19 font towards rear of nave. Monuments: Thomas Lord memorial dated 1652 on east wall of nave, wall tablet with trefoiled head; Wilson memorial, late C17 wall monument with short columns supporting open segmental pediment, inscription panel with folded ribbon detail to central oval panel, inscription illegible. Church is near moated site of former castle belonging to William de Grandison who obtained licence to crenellate in 1292. The earlier church on this site was possibly built as a Chapel of Ease close to the house. (RCHM, Vol II, p 2/3; Watkins, Duncomb's History of the County of Hereford, Hundred of Radlow, 1902, p 10 and 12).

Listing NGR: SO6425841493

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
152981
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 2-3
Watkins, J , Duncombs Collections towards the History and Antiquities of the County of Hereford Hundred of Radlow, (1902), 10 and 12

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/09071/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Cushnaghan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].