CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1098989

Date first listed: 06-Mar-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1098989 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2019 at 22:42:55.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Pixley

National Grid Reference: SO6608938804

Details

PIXLEY CP - SO 63 NE

5/115 Church of St Andrew

6.3.67 GV II*

Parish church. Mainly C13 and C14, restored 1865. Sandstone rubble and sandstone dressings, tiled roof; part timber-framed bell-turret with shingle roof, timber-framed and brick south porch. Continuous two-bay chancel and three-bay nave with slight central projection supporting west side of bell- turret, south porch. Bell-turret has pyramidical roof and corner posts to north-east and south-east, a pair of lozenge-shaped openings facing south and two C19 trefoil-headed openings to west; beneath the bell-chamber is a plain string course above a 2-light square-headed mullioned window and a chamfered two-stage plinth. North wall has three 2-light trefoil-headed C19 windows and a large central buttress. East end has another large buttress towards the north-east corner, a deep plinth about three feet high and two widely spaced lancets. To the right of the south wall is a C13 window with three chamfered lancets, to the left of which is a priests' door with a 2-centred head. West of the door are two square-headed 2-light mullioned windows, the eastern one being much taller. C14 south porch has brick supporting side walls, curved braces to open sides, arch-braces to the two main trusses, the rafters are pegged at their apices. South door is in a 2-centred chamfered arch. Interior: roof has elliptical ceiling, moulded wall-plates and three tie-beams, one under bell-turret, one across the middle of the nave and one above the C14 oak screen which is the most signifi- cant internal feature; central 2-centred roll-moulded pegged arch under ovolo- moulded head beam, flanked by a chamfered rail about half-way up its jambs; three panels to each side formed by chamfered late C19 posts. C19 quatrefoil drain in cill of east window of south wall beneath which is a C18 (?) oak chest. The two east lancets contain The Annunciation in Morris/Burne-Jones style stained glass: the left is inscribed beneath the Angel:

Hail thou that art highly favoured: the Lord is with thee The right, beneath the Virgin:

Behold the handmaiden of the Lord: be it unto me according to thy word

To the east side of the screen is a late C19 harmonium by the Bell Organ & Piano Co Ltd of Gullph, Canada, which has elaborate back rail with fretwork appendages and a central feature of gilded wooden immitation organ pipes. Font has an octagonal moulded bowl and stem on a square base and is restored or C19. The east side of the bell-turret is supported on two heavy moulded and chamfered posts with C19 foiled braces. (RCHM Vol II, p 153-4).

Listing NGR: SO6608938804

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 152780

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 153-4

End of official listing