CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1099322.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:59:11.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
SO 44 NE; 3/136
WELLINGTON CP, WELLINGTON
Church of St Margaret
Parish church. Late C12 to C16, restorations in 1883, 1887 and 1912/13. Sandstone rubble, stone slate roofs. Late C12 west tower and nave, C13 chancel, C15 or early C16 north transept and aisle, C14 south porch.
Tower: four stages separated by deep string courses, battered base. Clasping buttresses to north-west and south-west corners and central pilasters to north, west and south penetrate and stop above string dividing first and second stages. These buttresses and pilasters carry wall-shafts some with scalloped, some with figurative capitals, the longer corner shafts with spiky open waist-bands; the pilasters in addition each contain round-headed lights. Second stage has a small round-headed light to each face above weatherings of the central pilasters that terminate at this point. Third stage has a pair of round-headed belfry openings to each of four recessed panels. Above each panel is a row of nine corbels, the centre one supported on a wall shaft. The fourth stage is plain apart from central water spouts just below the final string which defines C14 - C15 embattled top. Bell-ringers' entry through C18 triangular-headed doorway to east of south side. Nave: large buttress to south-west corner; C14 south-west window of two lights with trefoiled heads, two restored similar windows to east of porch. North aisle: square headed 2-light windows with cinquefoil heads, two facing north and one west. Between the first two is a blocked north door with simple imposts and heavy roll- moulding. North transept: a large north 3-light trefoil headed window with heavily cusped tracery. Two similarly designed but taller 2-light windows face east and west. Chancel: c1900 east window is similar to north window of north transept; north side has blocked triangular headed door and a small lancet in a chamfered openings; south-east window has two trefoil headed lights with vertical mullions above like those in north transept, to its left are three trefoil headed lancets and a triangular headed priests' door. South porch: moulded entrance of four orders with small paterae on the imposts beneath a label with a keystone in the form of a female face. Two side windows are single lights with trefoiled heads and spandrels under square heads. Roof of two trussed bays, two king posts, moulded ogee tie beams, cusped collars, trefoil-headed wind braces and longitudinal arch braces. C12 south doorway has fluted imposts, two roll mouldings to semi-circular head and to jambs.
INTERIOR: open wagon roof to nave; ceiled to chancel. The restored C15 nave roof has brattished tie beams between the chancel arch and tower arch containing arch-braced collars with intermittent cusped raking struts; wall plates are also brattished. Chancel ceiling is late C19. North aisle has six bays of cusped restored C15 (?) wind braces rising from oak corbels, several of which are heads. North transept: wagon roof heavily restored though retaining some C15 (?) bosses at junction of rafters and arch braces. Nave: three octagonal columns separate north transept, 2-centred C12 tower arch of two orders with scalloped capitals; chancel arch of two semicircular headed orders; rood loft opening to north side of chancel arch under triangular head with adjacent light for varnished newel stairs. Blocked C12 light to west of porch. West face of north-east respond has small trefoil head niche. Chancel: south-east window has C15 stained glass in its tracery; fragments of black-letter C15 script and a haloed male head. C13 piscina in east wall has circular drain supported on an asymmetrically designed corbel. Also in the east wall, monument to Sir Herbert Perrot died 1683, with aedicule comprising broken pediment supported by barley- sugar columns. Two-centred arched recess probably for a tomb in north wall. C15 oak credence with ogee head in south wall. Pulpit in early C17 style, probably largely c1900. C14 font with octagonal bowl on octagonal stem and base. Wall monument to Ann Meats, died 1830, situated beneath rood opening is unusual in having a large signature "Richard Yeomans Bod" (ie Bodenham ?); gilded obelisk plaque above bird holding a laurel in its beak. The tower has most unusual features: BoE, p 309; RCHM, Vol II, p 200.
Listing NGR: SO4971648210
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 200
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 309
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing