AMBERLEY CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1099404
Date first listed:
20-Oct-1952
Statutory Address:
AMBERLEY CHAPEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of AMBERLEY CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1099404.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:38:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
AMBERLEY CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Marden
National Grid Reference:
SO 54657 47883

Details

SO 54 NW MARDEN CP AMBERLEY

4/19 Amberley Chapel

- 20.10.52 GV II*

Chapel. Mainly C14, C12 origins, restored 1865. Roughly coursed sand- stone rubble, sandstone dressings, slate roof, bell-cote to west verge. Rectangular plan with structurally undifferentiated nave and chancel. Gabled bell-cote, two openings, each containing a bell, with square heads to east and ogee heads over trefoiled soffits to west. Buttresses with off-sets; either side of west window, angled at north-west and south-west corners, set back to eastern corners. West and south-west windows: two trefoiled ogeed lights under quatrefoils and chamfered labels. North-west window is square-headed, three trefoil-headed lights with two quatrefoils, two half-quatrefoils and three spandrel-lights above. North- east and south-east windows have Y-tracery with single deeply incised mouldings to jambs. East window: a total restoration, has three lights, the outer two of which have pointed heads. Window to east of porch has one light with a trefoiled head and blind cusped spandrels. South porch: round-headed arch with heavy roll moulding, perhaps C12; one small light to each side wall with ogee head and trefoil beneath (cf bell-cote). South doorway is a chamfered pointed arch. Interior: late C19 open wagon roof with brattished wall-plates. Trefoil-headed piscina with square drain; C12 corbel rising from circular base to scalloped trumpet capital and square abacus set in south side of east wall. To the left of the east window is a large raised panel with a brattished top, ovolo-moulded sides and a plain recessed segmental-headed arch. Pulpit, mid- to late C19: three sides with chevron and ball flower frieze and three stylised composite capitals supporting miniature wall-shafts. Late C19 chancel screen has open trefoil-headed panels, central entrance with carved spandrels and a brattished top. Late C19 harmonium by Mason and Hamlin, Boston, USA. Font, also late C19, has circular bowl set in an octagon decorated with quatrefoil panels beneath blind ogee cresting and shamrocks, octagonal stem, round base. The earlier font from this chapel is in the garden of Amberley Court (qv). (RCHM, Vol II, p 136).

Listing NGR: SO5465847885

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
153985
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 136

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10467/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jeff Andrews. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].