CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1099652
Date first listed:
17-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, A40

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1099652.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:59:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, A40

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lea
National Grid Reference:
SO 65762 21743

Details

LEA CP A 40 SO 62 SE

6/17 Church of St John the Baptist

GV II*

Church. Late C13, C14 and early C15. Extensively restored 1854. Sandstone rubble with tile roofs. Comprises a west tower with spire, nave, lower chancel, north aisle under a pitched roof, north chapel, and north porch. The lower stage of the tower is C13 and has a window of one trefoiled light to each side. The upper stage is C14 and has ogee bell openings of one light and is broached to a stone spire. The south wall of the nave is of three bays separated by buttresses. The outer windows have flat heads and trefoiled lights. The middle one is late C13, of two lights with cusped Y-tracery. In the south wall of the chancel are two trefoiled one-light windows and a priest's door with Tudor arch. The west window of the north aisle is of two trefoiled lights with pierced spandrel. In the north wall is a window of three trefoiled lights with flat head and hood. The porch is gabled and has an outer doorway with pointed arch chamfered in two orders. In the north wall of the chapel is a blocked doorway with Tudor arch. The chapel east window is of three trefoiled lights with Tudor-arched head. The east chancel window is of three cinque- foiled lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. Interior: three- bay arcade of chamfered Tudor arches springing from octagonal piers. Moulded capitals carved with grotesque animals, faces, and heads. Nave roof trusses have straight braces to collars and cusped V-struts. The pointed tower arch is plastered. The chancel arch is moulded and has semi-octagonal responds. The south window of the chancel has two C19 trefoiled inner arches with alabaster shafts and foliated capitals. The cinquefoiled piscina is also C19. The chancel has a boarded barrel roof. The Tudor arch between the north aisle and north chapel contains organ pipes and a re-set C15 screen with carved tracery decoration. The font, of C1200, is south Italian and was given to the church in 1907. The shaft is knotted in the middle and stands on an elephant. The capital is carved with four rams' heads. The bowl has a band of Cosmati work and is carved with scrolls and figures. (RCHM, p 99).

Listing NGR: SO6576321744

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
155428
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 99

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08123/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Rita M. Porteous. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].