CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1099705.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 16:54:32.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- Eaton Bishop
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 44304 39104
SO 43 NW; 2/53
EATON BISHOP CP, Church of St Michael and all Angels
Parish church. C11, C12, C13 and C14 with restorations in 1885 and 1927. Roughly coursed sandstone rubble and sandstone dressings. Tile and shingle roofs. West tower, four-bay nave with north and south aisles and south porch. Two-bay chancel.
Tower is C11 and C12 and was restored in 1927. Three stages and battered plinth. Shingled broach spire with gabled dormer to each face. Ground stage has one low-set round-headed chamfered light set roughly centrally in west and south faces. Similar, but off-centre, light in north face. Above each of the small lights in south and west faces is another larger round-headed window. Second stage has one of the last larger type of round-headed windows to north, south and west faces. Top stage has twin round-headed openings to each face. Each opening is divided by a shaft with cushion capital. North-east and south-east corners of tower are slightly recessed behind main line of north and south walls. North aisle has chamfered lancet in the west wall. North wall has two lancets, one to either side of north doorway which has a flat 2-centred head. To the left side between two buttresses is a 3-light window with a label and trefoil-headed lights set beneath a gable with a cross. C19 stack with octagonal shaft to centre. East end of aisle has scars of lower, earlier and steeper chancel roof. Nave has three recessed clerestory lancets to north and south. Eastern verge with gable cross below which is small gable light with 2-centred head and large window of five stepped trefoil-headed lights under a 2-centred arch with label. Chancel has a pair of traceried 2-light windows each with 2-centred head and label to north and south sides. Each light is trefoil-headed and the earlier window on the south side has a higher cill than the others. Above the windows is a moulded cornice. The east window has a wide 2-centred head with label and five restored lights all with trefoiled heads. Diagonal eastern corner buttresses are capped by pinnacles with crocket and dog-tooth ornament. South aisle has one lancet to east and west ends. South side has a 2-light window, similar to those of south wall of chancel, beneath a gable on the right-hand side. It is flanked by two weathered buttresses. One lancet to each side of late C19 or early C20 south porch which has two bays and trusses carried on curved angle braces, the collars of which carry V-struts. Chamfered south doorway with 2-centred head.
INTERIOR: has roofs which are late C19 or later. Nave roof is open wagon with scissor-struts. Chancel roof has angle braces to rafters and brattished wall-plates. Aisle roofs are like half of that of nave but at each east end have diagonal pine ribs rising from C19 corbel heads to form wooden quadripartite vault beneath the north and south gables. Chancel has three-seater C14 sedilia with chamfered ogeed and trefoiled heads separated by octagonal shafts on moulded bases; ballflower frieze above. Piscina has similar but smaller head to those of sedilia and octagonal drain. Pair of aumbries, one to each of north and south walls, have C15 traceried panels on late C19 or early C20 doors. C19 oak altar rails supported by twisted brass posts with foliated brass decoration. East window which was re-leaded in 1978 has celebrated C14 stained glass with central Crucifixion flanked by tabernacles beneath which are angels and donors with a Virgin and Child panel to the left. In east window of south wall is a more contemporary stained glass with tracery lights illuminating Christ in Majesty. North-east window has a small Crucifixion in the tracery. C19 stained glass in south-west window of Samuel Clark shows SS Michael and Ethelbert in left light and SS Gabriel and Cantelupe in the right. The window opposite is The Annunciation for Ellen Strong, wife of the then rector, died 1891. North wall has monument to Richard Sneade, died 1678. Painted stone, segmental broken peidment containing achievement and flanking putti. Twisted columns with Ionic capitals. South wall has monument to Thomas Phillips, died 1784, with arch above cornice and apron in form of a swag. Also his daughter, Isabella, burnt to death 1836, whose monument is of white marble with pediment and simplified acroteria with the incised inscription:
AN AWFUL EXAMPLE OF THIS IMPORTANT TRUTH
"IN THE MIDST OF LIFE WE ARE IN DEATH" BE YE THEREFORE READY ALSO: FOR THE SON OF MAN COMETH AT AN HOUR WHEN YE THINK NOT
Large organ to north side inscribed:
EUSTACE INGRAM HEREFORD 1888
Chancel arch has double chamfers, the inner order on half-columns with fillets and half-octagonal capitals, the outer order dying into the responds. Chancel screen of oak, largely c1900, including C14 elements, has three panelled bays to each side of entry with pairs of ogee and cinquefoiled heads. Nave has C13 arcade with circular piers and abaci; set on diagonal, supporting 2-centred and double chamfered arches. South-east pier has stiff-leaf foliage. South-west respond has cusping to each face of abacus. Two carved heads, one above each of two westernmost abaci of south arcade. West wall of nave has weathering of older lower nave roof, cushion capital on shaft between twin openings of top stage of tower. Low unmoulded tower arch of two orders with chamfered jambs and moulded imposts. Font, partly C13, has eight clustered shafts with foliated capitals on circular base and a C19 cylindrical bowl. Lectern is probably mid- C19 with twisted wrought iron shaft to oak book wedge. Pulpit is late C19, part-octagonal with cresting to top rail and resembles cinquefoil style of chancel screen. Twisted brass newel post and hand rails to stairs. Stained glass in east window above chancel arch is late C19 and illustrates The Resurrection. North aisle has C17 communion table with turned legs and moulded rails. At the east end beneath C14 ogeed and cinquefoil-headed recessed panel is a bas-relief in crystalline stone of "Suffer the Little Children" for Lady Irva Keenan Pulley and Sir Charles Thornton Pulley DL, JP, died 1942 and 1947 respectively. North-east window for Mary Pulley, died 1876, has stained glass of Charity flanked by Faith and Hope. South aisle has C14 piscina with cinque- foiled head and circular drain. Above in the easternmost window of the south wall is stained glass for Sir Joseph Pulley, Bart of Lower Eaton, died 1901, and the inscription: "This and the window over chancel arch erected 1904". Brass plaque to nine men who fell in " ... THE WAR WITH GERMANY 1914-19", with the names arranged hierarchically for the ranks above private, and alphabetically for privates. To west of south door, painted stone plaque for William Gulliford, died 1770, with incised lettering and raised parts in black. Tower has two framed drawings on north wall. One is entitled "Plan of Sittings"; the other "General'Restoration". Both are inscribed:
T Nicholson FRIBA Architect Hereford July 1885 JAT Nicholson Delt
Listing NGR: SO4430239102
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 59-61
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 124
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing