BEOLEY PAPER MILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1099992
Date first listed:
28-Nov-1986
Statutory Address:
BEOLEY PAPER MILL, PAPER MILL DRIVE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1099992.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Aug-2020 at 23:23:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
BEOLEY PAPER MILL, PAPER MILL DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Redditch (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 05400 68435

Details

REDDITCH B PAPER MILL DRIVE (west side) SP 0568 Church Hill

8/138 Beoley Paper Mill

II

Paper mill, now warehouse. C17 on earlier site; remodelled late C18 with mid- (:19 and mid-C20 alterations and additions. Part brick with corrugated iron cladding, part timber-framed with brick infill and replacement -walling; plain and machine-tiled hipped and gabled roofs. Main part of T-plan with large four-bay range aligned east/west; overshot water wheel originally situated at west end at junction with two-bay intersecting cross-wing which is lower in height. Two levels. Main south elevation: three large and one small ground floor windows with cambered heads; four first floor windows; two doors, one with shuttered transom and one with cambered head; wheel was housed beneath elliptical archway to left and there is a square opening above the archway. Cross-wing gable end has a large doorway with a cambered head and three loft doors, two of which have blue brick sills. At the east gable end there is a truncated collar and tie-beam truss with two collars, three struts to lower collar and two raking struts to upper collar. Adjoining the west side of the cross-wing is a large timber-framed wing of roughly six framed bays and on two levels; two rows of panels survive at the upper level and there is a collar and tie-beam truss at the west gable end; in the south elevation there are five square openings and one rectangular opening at ground floor level; most of the upper row of panels are open or are blocked with wood boarding; three doors. A large corrugated iron lean-to addition adjoins the two easternmost bays. Interior not inspected Large C19 gabled addition adjoins the framed part at rear. It is probable that the mill site was established by the monks from Bordesley Abbey about half a mile away. From the late C18 until about 1940 the mill produced "blue" (purple) needle wrapping papers believed to have been developed by Moorish craftsmen and introduced into this county c1560 by the Huguenots. The mill continued to produce various papers after 1940 until production stopped altogether in 1951. (J G Rollins, The Needle Mills, SPAB 1970).

Listing NGR: SP0548568473

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
156614
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Rollins, J G, The Needle Mills, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/14098/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].