Church of St John the Baptist


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St John the Baptist, Hagley Park


Ordnance survey map of Church of St John the Baptist
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100106.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:23:02.


Statutory Address:
Church of St John the Baptist, Hagley Park

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bromsgrove (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 92075 80769


SO 98 SW 2/123

HAGLEY CP HAGLEY PARK Church of St John the Baptist

16.11.67 GV II* Parish church. C13 origins, partly rebuilt 1754-56 by Sanderson Miller, north aisle and arcade added in 1828 by Rickman, partly rebuilt and remodelled again in 1858-65 by Street. Sandstone ashlar, plain tiled roofs with gable-end parapets and cross-finial at east end. West tower, four bay aisled nave with south porch, and sanctus bellcote, three-bay chancel with north vestry and organ chamber. Decorated style.

West tower: roughly three stages with strings and chamfered plinth which continues round building; gabled diagonal corner buttresses; pointed west doorway with stepped plinth string forming hood mould and two-light window above with sill string and hood mould; two loopholes on west side of second stage; belfry stage has large two-light louvred bell-chamber openings with ball flower mouldings, sill string and a continuous hood mould; trefoil frieze beneath broach spire with lucarnes beneath a quatrefoil frieze and a weathervane.

Nave: separate gabled aisles; continuous sill string; windows all have hood moulds with returns or decorated stops; north aisle has buttresses with offsets at bay divisions, a gabled diagonal west corner buttress, a three-light west end window and a three-light window and three two-light windows in the north elevation; south aisle includes some medieval masonry: angled corner buttresses and central south buttress with offsets; two-light west and east windows and three two-light windows in south elevation; there is an oval early C19 memorial situated west of the central buttress.

South porch: gabled; corner pilaster buttress with string above; pointed archway with hood mould; string in gable apex with loop-hole above; similar arched doorway within. Gabled sanctus bell-cote with single pointed archway. Chancel: buttresses with offsets at bay divisions and angled at east end; stepped sill string; windows have hood moulds with head and foliated stops; three-light east window; two two-light windows and a three-light window in south elevation; the latter window has a transom below which is a Virgin and Child relief with flanking early C20 memorials.

North vestry and organ chamber: partly gabled, partly as lean-to with catslide roof; two two-light windows and pointed doorway; C20 lean-to on each side and large stone stack at junction.

Interior: four bay nave arcades of two chamfered orders on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases (some C13 masonry in south arcade): similar chancel and narrow tower arch, both with inner order on colonnettes. Arch-braced collar truss roofs with paired swept wind-braces; chancel roof has cusped pointed arcade above moulded wall-plate and cusped pierced braces. East window has slender nookshafts and hood mould with angel stops. Ornately painted and gilded arcaded reredos with marble panels and central marble cross; cusped pointed aumbry; three-bay sedilia; gilded traceried wrought iron chancel screen, c1915 by Sir Thomas Jackson.

Octagonal stone font with arcaded stem and cusped frieze around basin. Circular pulpit with cusped arcading, marble panels and foliated detail probably by Street. Finialed tomb recess in north aisle contains C13 coffin lid decorated with a foliated cross. South aisle has a piscina and at the east end is a carved panel with an animal relief of probable Norman date found in 1984, (this suggests that there was an even earlier church on the site).

Memorials: in tower numerous C18 and C19 memorials, mainly to Lyttleton family; most notable by Roubiliac to Lucy Lyttleton, died 1747, to a design by Sir Charles Frederick with a putto seated next to an urn.

Glass: east window and one window in both aisles by Kempe; also two windows in south aisle by Henry Holiday.

Listing NGR: SO9207580769


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Hagley Hall Official Guide
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913), 135
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 176-7
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 20 Hereford and Worcester,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07932/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Pearson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].