CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1100167
Date first listed:
16-Nov-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, HIGH HOUSE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100167.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:30:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, HIGH HOUSE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Bromsgrove (District Authority)
Parish:
Tutnall and Cobley
National Grid Reference:
SO 99557 69136

Details

SO 96 NE TUTNALL & COBLEY CP HIGH HOUSE LANE (off north side) Tardebigge

9/172 Church of St Bartholomew

16.11.67

GV II*

Parish church. 1777 by Francis Hiorn restored and chancel added 1879 - 1880 by Henry Rowe. Ashlar with tile and copper roof. Nave, west tower, apsidal chancel. West tower: three-stage tower surmounted by slender octagonal spire; second stage open with concave walls and pairs of Doric columns to corners capped by urn finials; each wall has a semi-circular headed opening; first stage has a moulded cornice with pilastered semi- circular headed openings with keystones; ground stage: central entrance has doorcase with engaged Doric columns and pediment below a Diocletian window; radially glazed fanlight and two-leaf door; tower flanked by a vestry each side, each with a semi-circular headed window. Nave of five bays, each has a semi-circular headed recess below a moulded cornice with parapet above and urn finials; four bays to right have semi-circular headed windows with multi-pane iron windows. Chancel: moulded plinth and cornice square with apse; the apse has three windows with semi-circular heads; priest's door in south wall. Interior: octagonal 'narthex' beneath tower; chancel arch semi-circular. Gallery to west on two square piers, front of gallery has raised and fielded panels. Fittings: C18 box pew in north-east corner of nave; wall memorial to Lady Mary Cookes, died 1694, above pew, has barley sugar columns, and relief medallion of husband and wife; in the chancel, wall memorial to Other Archer, died 1833, with weeping maiden, signed "Chantrey 1835". This church occupies a hill-top site and the spire is a prominent landmark. (BoE, pp 275 - 276; Howard Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600 - 1840, 1978, p 419; VCH 3, p 228; Margaret Dickins, A Thousand Years in Tardebigge, 1931, pp 85 p 90).

Listing NGR: SO9955769136

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
156224
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 419
Dickins, M, A Thousand Years in Tardebigge, (1931), 85-90
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913), 228
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 275-276

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/04352/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoff Dowling. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].