CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1100225
Date first listed:
16-Nov-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE, BEAR HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100225.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 19:01:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE, BEAR HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Bromsgrove (District Authority)
Parish:
Alvechurch
National Grid Reference:
SP 02664 72445

Details

SP 02 72 ALVECHURCH CP BEAR HILL (south side)

15/10 Church of St Laurence 16.11.67

GV II*

Parish church. Fragments of C12, C14 north aisle, tower of 1676 built by the Richards brothers, rest rebuilt by William Butterfield, 1859-1861. Sandstone ashlar with machine-tile roof. West tower 1676, north aisle C14, nave, south aisle and chancel 1859-1861. West tower: incorporates some C15 features, rebuilt 1676, three stages, each offset. C17 balustrade with crocketed pinnacles, diagonal buttresses: west wall: second stage has a window of trefoiled lights under 2-centred head; first stage: square-headed window with chamfered reveals, below clock and a datestone inscribed: "Samuell Richards and / Thomas Richards 1676" over a pair of addorsed dragons; ground stage: window of three cinquefoiled lights under 2-centred head with label over an entrance with 2-centred arch. Nave: 1859-1861, four bays with (from left to right) clerestorey windows: cinquefoil lancet, a pair of similar lancets, a pair of trefoiled lancets, and a similar pair with quatrefoil above; south aisle: 1858-1861, lean-to roof, five bays, left-hand bay has timber-frame south porch to re-set restored C12 door which has a roll moulding to semi-circular head, a billeted label, and respond shafts with capitals; other bays mostly have paired trefoil lancets, each with a re-set C12 or C14 corbel above; east window has two trefoiled lights under a 2-centred head; north aisle: C14, altered C15, gabled roof; three bays defined by stepped buttresses, each bay with two windows of two trefoiled lights under 2-centred head; east window has reticulated tracery under a 2-centred head, and had five lights obscured by lean-to C19 vestry. Chancel: 1859-61, three bays, that to left covered by south aisle, trefoiled lancets to each bay; east window: three stepped trefoiled lancets. Interior: nave: north arcade of three bays with 2-centred arches and circular plan piers, south arcade of four bays wth 2-centred arches and slender columns, respectively Norman and Early English in style, but all C19; tower arch: 2-centred of two continuous orders; chancel: arcade to aisles on each side of two bays with 2-centred arches and slender columns. Re-set head of a C14 sedilia in south wall of chancel; north aisle; early C15 tomb recess behind organ has an ogee cinque- foiled arch, crocketed and terminating in a carved finial; effigy in recess is a recumbent stone knight. Roofs: nave: seven bays: arch-braced collars, south aisle: lean-to roof; chancel: two bays, cusped arch-braces to collar; north aisle: common rafter roof with scissor-braces. Fittings: mostly C19 by Butterfield; the low chancel screen is made up from probably C15 woodwork, including a frieze with trailing foliage, all painted. North aisle: wall tablet to Edward Moore, died 1746, with Corinthian pilasters; brass mounted on wall to Philip Chatwyn, died 1542; chancel: tomb slab bearing a cross flory, chalice and the arms of John Carpenter, Bishop of Worcester (1443-76). (VCH 3, pp 255-256; BoE, pp 68-70 Hereford & Worcester Record Office, Probate records 3585/767).

Listing NGR: SP0266472445

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
156063
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913), 255-256
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 68-70

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02416/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Molyneux. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].