CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1100286
Date first listed:
23-Sep-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100286.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 02:37:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Forest of Dean (District Authority)
Parish:
Mitcheldean
National Grid Reference:
SO 66366 18599

Details

SO 61 NE MITCHELDEAN HIGH STREET (west side)

6/158 Church of St. Michael and All Angels (formerly listed as Church of St. Michael) 23.9.55 GV I

Large parish church; C14, 15, 18, 19; coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings to tower, top stage and spire ashlar; south aisle squared rubble with ashlar dressings; chancel squared stone approaching ashlar. north aisle large, squared stone in end bays, rubble with ashlar dressings in centre. Slate roofs, lead flat to south aisle. West tower, 4-bay nave, 2 north, 1 south aisles, chancel, vestry and south porch. South facade: tower on left, 4 stages with moulded strings to lower 2; lancet to each upper stage, glazed to second, third and fourth with stone louvres; string to third stage on corbels. Plain parapet and gargoyles. semi-octagonal stair projection on left return. Slender octagonal spire, roll moulding on arrises, 2 small doors east face, lower with hood; terminates in floriate capital with gilded copper weathercock above. Gabled porch against tower, wide, diagonally- boarded double doors under 2-central arch with hoodmould; circular window above with carved head over. Copings to gable; crested ridge tiles. 2-light side windows with trefoil heads, solid panel above. South aisle 3 windows, 3-light, C19 Perpendicular tracery under hoodmoulds, buttress between first 2, semi-octagon stair turret between second 2, with small, panelled priest's door to right. Diagonally-set buttress at right-hand end. Plain parapet, lead flat roof. Above two 3-light Perpendicular clerestory windows to shorter nave. Chancel moulded plinth and 2 string courses low down: 2-light south window with Geometric tracery, rendered east gable to nave above chancel roof, which has copings to east gable, floriate cross to apex. North wall of north aisle diagonal darner buttresses with swept offsets, square- set intermediate with slight offsets: moulded plinth to end bays only; first, third and fourth windows 4-light, king mullion, super transom, trefoil heads to lower lights, quatrefoils above, with 4- centred arches (fourth window C19 renewal). Second window similar 6-light. Third bay wall set back under arch. Moulded string course at eaves level, plain gargoyles, high parapet with widely- spaced embrasures. Behind low-pitch roof covering 2 aisles as one. Internally, entry to tower base, arches to nave and south aisle. Nave arcade extends into ritual chancel with no structural division: square columns with back-to-back ogee moulding run up arrises. Ceiling plastered barrel vault, panelled with moulded timber ribs, with carved square bosses at intersections. Late C15 doom on boards at east end over carved C19 timber arch. Chancel ceiling pointed boarded barrel vault, panelled with applied tracery. South aisle crypt with pointed barrel vault under east end: aisle ceiling flat boarded. North aisles have moulded cambered tie beams, supported by moulded wall-posts and braces: ceillings panelled with moulded purlin and ridge, etc., with carved bosses at intersections: crenellated timber cornice. Cusped wind braces in porch. In south aisle piscina with flying ogee below steep triangular head: C15 octagonal wooden pulpit with blind tracery to sides, with C19 stem. At east end Decalogue on 2 stone plaques with pointed heads: corresponding Creed and Lord's Prayer at west end of nave. Circular stone font C12 in style, remade in C19, but centre section may be original. White marble reredos with life-size figures in chancel, 1911 by W. G. Storr-Barber. A little Medieval glass in north aisle windows; south-east window of south aisle by Kempe, 1887. 2 Medieval brasses, various C18 early C19 wall tablets. Spire rebuilt about 1760 by Nathaniel Wilkinson of Worcester; church restored and chancel rebuilt 1853 by Henry Woodyer. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and Forest of Dean, 1970).

Listing NGR: SO6636618599

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
354235
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11475/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Angela Bruist. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].