Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100624.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Mar-2021 at 00:47:33.


Statutory Address:
Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Dacorum (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 96468 12492


ALDBURY STOCKS ROAD SP 9612 (West side) 12/17 No.9 (The Old Manor House) 14.5.52 and No.13 (Manor Cottage) (formerly listed as No. 9 (Manor House)) GV II* House (never a manor house) now 2 houses. Circa 1500, open hall house of unusual form, for either Henry Winch or for Russell family, '1516' in spandrel of hall fireplace, 2 storeys N extension, several fireplaces, and floors inserted in hall, and in kitchen in rear wing, in mid C17 (before 1663 when Bennet Winch paid tax for 5 hearths: his initials on main stack). Large projecting S chimney early C18. By 1722 described as a house and 2 cottages. Timber frame on red brick sill with red brick infill, plastered in central bays on 1st floor front, and red brick casing to ground floor and S wall of rear wing. Steep old red tile roofs. An irregular 2-storeys L-shaped building facing E over the village pond. Deep single hall bay has jettied parlour bay to N and C17 jettied extension with lean-to and outshut to N of it. Higher gabled S crosswing has wide entrance door into former crosspassage below jettied 1st floor with entrance to hall beyond back of massive chimney stack serving the hall. Lower 2-storeys rear wing has 2-bays kitchen, formerly open to roof, and storeyed W end bay for cook above storage. 4 windows long E front with flush cast-iron lattice casements to 1st floor, one to each bay defined by the exposed timber framing. The face of the close-studded jettied 1st floor of the parlour bay is in the same plane as the front of the close-studded hall bay (lower part faced in brick) a most unusual feature proved original by the framing of the members. The higher jetty of the N extension has wide-spaced studs, as does the 1st floor of the S crosswing although its gable triangle over has close-studding. The ground floor is faced in brick with tall 2-light small-paned casement windows one to each bay, but flanked by high 3-light ovolo moulded leaded windows to the parlour, and with leaded glazing to the right of the plank door to the N extension (No. 13). Fine hollow-chamfered 4-centred wide doorway in S crosswing with sunk spandrels and old battened oak door with iron hinges. The S side of this crosswing has exposed 1st floor framing with wide-spaced studs and curved tension braces set low to allow small corner windows. Large projecting C18 chimney. C17 header-bond brickwork to ground floor to W of chimney but C18 brick with blue headers and Flemish-bond to E of chimney. 2 storeys lower W range has red brick chequered with blue headers, floor band, and segmental arches to 3 flush 2-light casement windows on each floor, leaded above but cast-iron lattices below. Interior has narrowed rear door to crosspassage, no structural division of S service bay, S stair in original position, chamfered doorway to hall, axial chamfered and stopped beam to floor inserted in hall, wide fireplace with depressed 4-centred stone arch with date on E spandrel, irregular studding in N wall, C17 oak mitred panelling to parlour with arcaded panels over fireplace, ovolo moulded N fireplace in parlour (stack formerly projected outside), stair originally on W wall replaced by stair turret in early C17. Chamber over parlour formerly plastered under collars, and hall roof little smoke- blackened. Fireplace to chamber over hall scratched with 'James Partridge 174?'. Rear wing has smoke-blackened clasped-purlin roof of 2 bays and a third W bay with floor lower than the inserted floor over the kitchen. This has a chamfered cross-beam and elaborate hollow double stop with nick. Plain small square flue to kitchen fireplace probably a replacement for one on N wall. 4-centred fireplace with sunk spandrels in chamber over S crosswing with 3-light diamond mullioned S window. RCHM suggest it is a highly unusual house which may represent an hitherto unrecognised type. (RCHM(1911)31 no. 3: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: SP9645612490


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05768/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nick Jarvis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].