Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100637.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2021 at 23:03:15.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wyre Forest (District Authority)
Upper Arley
National Grid Reference:
SO 76386 80473


UPPER ARLEY CP UPPER ARLEY SO 78 SE 1/134 Church of St Peter 25.2.58 - II* Parish church. Early C14 incorporating C12 fragments, extended C16, restored 1791 and 1885. Sandstone ashlar with tile roof. West tower, nave, north aisle, chancel with south vestry. West tower: four stages with offsets and diagonal buttresses, stair turret to south-east corner; plain parapet. Belfry has two 4-light C18 windows with semi-circular heads and keystones; first and second stages have small windows with a 2-centred head. West window C19 of three trefoiled lights under 2-centred head with label and foliate stops. Nave: south wall has crenellated parapet, the merlons decorated with blind quatrefoils, of two bays, lower part C14, clerestory C16; clerestory has two windows of four lights udder square heads, lower part has C19 stone porch to left with Tudor arched entrance, south door behind C14, with 2-centred head; window to right blocked with 2-centred head. Chancel: rebuilt 1885, two bays with projecting south vestry to left-hand bay, crenellated parapet and angle buttresses. Window has two ogee trefoiled lights under 2-centred head. East window: five trefoiled lights under 2-centred head with label; datestone of 1885 below. North aisle: four bays with buttresses, three bays to west have C14 side windows each of two ogee lights under 2-centred heads, C16 north chapel has a window of three pointed lights under square head. East window of C19 has four ogee trefoil lights under a segmental head; clerestory of nave as on south wall. Interior: three-bay C14 arcade to north aisle has 2-centred arches on columns of quatrefoil plan. Chancel arch two-centred of two orders, the inner order on respond shafts; tower arch: segmental 2-centred arch; chancel north arcade C19 of two bays with details as chancel arch. Entrance to rood stair towards east end of south wall of nave. Roofs: mostly C19; nave has two-bay shallow pitch roof with moulded rafters, that to east end retains traces of painted decoration. Fittings: some C12 decorative fragments set high up in south wall of nave; wall memorial to Henry Lyttelton, died 1693, capped by urn. C14 recumbent knight in stone under north arcade of chancel, also some reset floor tiles, C14 impressed types and late C15 Malvern school tiles. In north chapel some C18 segmental plan Gothick altar rails and a C18 altar table. Traces of paint over chancel arch are all that remain of a "doom". (BoE, pp 280 - 281; Church Guide Book c1984; VCH, 3, pp 8 - 10).

Listing NGR: SO7638680473


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
St Peters Church Upper Arley Guide Book, (1984)
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913), 8-10
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 280 281


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09594/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Philip Williamson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].