Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100809.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2021 at 21:22:09.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Three Rivers (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 03833 01182


TL 00 SW 474/2/350 03.10.85

SARRATT THE COMMON (South side) Chipperfield Little Winch


House. 1935 by M. Fry for George Butler. Brick, with tile-hung timber-framed first floor studio. Flat roof. International Modern Style. Two storeys with a taller block to right. Entrance front has projecting entrance bay to left of centre with a large fixed window on the ground floor, a first floor 2-light casement and entrance in right return. Bay to left is plain. To right a covered walk with hood over ground floor on 3 posts, first floor 4-light horizontal window. To right and set back is taller block. Ground floor rendered with an entrance to left, two-light casement to centre, garage to right. Tilehung first floor, originally weatherboarded, has a large 5 x 2-light horizontal window. Oversailing eaves throughout. Garden elevation is largely glazed, ground floor has projecting continuous glazing to living room returned to right, elsewhere three- and four-light horizontal windows, with tilehanging to studio. INTERIOR: The house is entered beneath a canopy which gives on to a small hallway with green tiling and a wooden staircase with an open balustrade. The window beside the door gives a view through the house to the garden. From the hall one moves to the spacious living room, where there are thin steel columns to support the walls behind the projecting windows. A stove is built into the alcove, flanked by original shelving, with a broad display shelf on top. This allows for sitting by the fire while facing out towards the view. A folding partition originally divided the dining area from the rest of the dining room if required, but the fine hardwood floor runs straight through. Dog-leg staircase with open decorative steel handrail leads to three main bedrooms and a maid's room in a row, and a studio (not inspected) with a higher ceiling and raised dais. Little Winch was originally designed to be built in reinforced concrete but Watford R.D.C. insisted on traditional construction. The house is deliberately simple and minimal, though its cupboards, floorings and use of timber are exceptionally fine. `Modern architecture is an attitude to life as much as to materials and wine would go into a bottle whatever it was made of' (Maxwell Fry, Architectural Sketches, 1973). Though originally seen as a compromise, Little Winch marked an influential progression from the concept of the modern movement as an architectural style entirely of white concrete, towards a less austere synthesis that came to fruition only in the 1950s.


Cherry and Pevsner, Buildings of England, 1977 Architecture in Hertfordshire, 1929-1979 ( Architectural Review, January 1936, pp.25-6 F R S Yorke, The Modern House in England, 1945 edition, pp.14-15, 73-4 Alan Powers and Edward Mills, The Modern House, Twentieth Century Society, October 1996

Listing NGR: TL0383301182


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Powers, A, Mills, E, The Modern House, (1996)
Yorke, F R S , The Modern House in England, (1937), 14-15 73-4
'Hertfordshire Association of Architects' in Architecture in Hertfordshire 1929-1979, (1979)
'Architectural Review' in January, (1936), 25-6


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16628/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K W Newland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].