This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 17, MOOR LANE

List entry Number: 1100857



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Three Rivers

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Jul-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158834

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TQ 09 SE RICKMANSWORTH MOOR LANE (North side) Rickmansworth

9/190 No. 17 27.7.72


House, former lodge/tea pavilion to Moor Park (q.v.). 1763-5. Said to have been designed by Robert Adam for Sir L. Dundas, extended C19 and C20. Brick with stone dressings. Tiled roof, originally thatched. Built as an octagonal block with a link to a square block. 1 storey with attic to square block. C20 leaded casements throughout. Entrance with later timber and tiled porch to left on link with 2 light casement to right. Octagonal block has round-headed windows on 3 sides, gauged brick arches. All around the building runs a stone impost band with frosted rustication. Stone plinth. Gables to each of the surviving faces of the octagon with a central pyramidal roof. French windows with a blind opening above to garden. Square block has a ground floor 2 light window and first floor Diocletian window with a lowered sill in a gable on entrance front. Gable to left over link. Right return to road: large pseudo-Venetian timber window with Doric pilasters, flank tympanum, in a large relieving arch beneath a gable. Stacks to rear adjoin extensions, that to road set back slightly, similar materials, windows and a frieze imitating the original. Interior: original features removed. (VCH 1908: Country Life 6 and 13/1/1912: Colvin 1954: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ0647493992

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M , A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840, (1954)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Country Life' in 13 January, (1912)

National Grid Reference: TQ 06474 93992


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100857 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 09:28:54.

End of official listing