This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1100865



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Three Rivers

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Chorleywood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158745

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TQ 09 NW CHORLEYWOOD RICKMANSWORTH ROAD (Southwest side) Chorleywood

5/104 The Court with East and West Lodges


Wrongly shown on OS map as Chenies Road. Large house. 1911-12 by J.D. Coleridge for Sir G. Alexander. Red brick with stone and tile dressings, sham timber framing and some tile hanging. Tiled roofs, Domestic Revival Style. 2 storeys. Front elevation to courtyard is 1:2:1:2:1 with projecting gabled centre and cross wings. 2 storey entrance porch to centre with a 4 centred arched head to moulded stone surround. Recessed plank and muntin door. Above a datestone with carved monogram and theatrical masks to first floor and in flanking bays are 2 light timber casements, leaded lights, tiled segmental heads to ground floor. Cross wings have 6 lights on ground floor, 5 lights on first floor, ventilation slits in gables with tiled kneelers. Stacks to left on front pitch and on ridge with oversailing caps. Right gable end with entrance, 2 and 3 light casements, tilehung gable. To left, outside courtyard is an entrance bay, panelled door with margin lights and first floor 4 light casement. Beyond a large wing projecting forward. 3 and 5 light windows in re-entrant wall, half hipped to front over an entrance with flanking 2 light windows, 4 light first floor window. Cross axial stack near front. Left return has a 1 storey block added and 3, 4, 5 and 6 light casements. Left end of main range has a hipped roof. Garden front is symmetrical 7 bays. Herringbone and chequered brickwork in sham timber framing. Projecting cross wings. Central entrance, glazed door in a 4 centred arched headed surround, flanking timber mullion and transom casements, leaded lights. 2, 3 and 2 light first floor windows. In angles of cross wings are small blocks with hipped roofs, that to left, all glazed to stairs, long mullioned casements to right. Gabled cross wings, plinth. 2 storey canted bays with 4 lights to front, jettied gables with S braces. On outer returns stacks with paired diagonal shafts and crow-stepped offsets. Set back beyond wings are 2 bay verandahs with balconys, to right a first floor round headed entrance under offsets to stack, closed to left. From ends of 7 bay front range tile coped walls with round arched openings with iron gates extend forwards to East and West Lodges enclosing a courtyard. 5 bays. 2 storeys. Central carriageway with wrought iron gates. To courtyard first floor centre is all sham timber framed, 4 light casement with hipped roof to projecting central bay, flanking 3 light hipped dormers, all on timber posts to recessed ground floor with 3 light casements. Gabled cross wings at ends with three 2 light casements on ground floor, 5 lights on first floor, tiled segmental heads. Ridge stacks. Outer elevation to road has timber lintel to central carriageway, flanking 2 light casements. First floor 2, 3 and 2 light casements, sides project slightly with entrances towards centre and outer 2 light windows. 4 light hipped dormers in hipped roofs with boxed eaves. Interior: panelling in C17 style, vase balusters to stair. A facsimile Venetian well to centre of courtyard designed to be used as a stage. (Country Life, 27/3/1915, p.3: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ0371196505

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Country Life' in 27 March, (1915)

National Grid Reference: TQ 03711 96505


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1100865 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 03:29:07.

End of official listing