Digswell House

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1101082

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Nov-1980

Statutory Address: Digswell House, Monks Rise, Welwyn Garden City, AL8 7NX

Map

Ordnance survey map of Digswell House
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101082 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 23:51:56.

Location

Statutory Address: Digswell House, Monks Rise, Welwyn Garden City, AL8 7NX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Welwyn Hatfield (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 23744 14869

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/11/2018

TL 21 SW 1/5

MONKS RISE (south side) Digswell House

(formerly listed as Digswell House Arts Centre, previously listed as Digswell House)

29.12.50

GV II Circa 1807. Built by Samuel Wyatt for Lord Cowper after the demolition of the medieval mansion a few years previously. A classical block of two storeys in brown stone, rendered and painted, with a replaced hipped slate roof. North (entrance) front has five windows in plain reveals, the centre three windows set in a slightly advanced bay under a simple pediment. Band at first floor cills. The front door, now entirely glazed, is enclosed by a severe Doric porch with two columns supporting a simple projecting cornice below a flat roof. Later C19 brick wing added to the north east. Rendered plinth. The south front is enriched by a very shallow portico of four tall Ionic columns that run the whole height of the house and support an undecorated entablature. Above this runs a low parapet, stepped slightly over the central pair of columns. The outer windows on the ground floor are of the C19 three-light type, set in shallow round-headed recesses. Plain panels are sunk above the central three windows, in order to relieve the voids between the storeys. The west end is a plain wall with three windows. All windows have hung sashes with glazing bars.

Listing NGR: TL2374414869

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 158246

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing