HOLY ROOD CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1101104
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1980
Statutory Address:
HOLY ROOD CHURCH, MARKET STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOLY ROOD CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101104 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 00:58:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOLY ROOD CHURCH, MARKET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Watford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 10877 96327

Details

TQ 1096 SE 9/44 5259

MARKET STREET, Holy Rood Church

12.9.80

I

Roman Catholic. 1889-1900 by J F Bentley. Outstanding late Gothic revival church. Flint and stone Gothic of Herts. Perpendicular type. Five bay nave with 2 bay width transepts, clerestory, low-pitch roofed aisles, 3 bay chancel with upper level ambulatory 2 bay north-east and south-east chapels with low vestries extending out to line of east end. South-west porch. Clasped between transepts and chancel, 2 octagonal stair turrets with copper caps. North-west tower built 1894-1900, flint below, top band of flint and stone chequer work, bell-stage banded flint and stone with 2 light openings. Panelled battlements and lead spirelet over corner stair turret. Stone banding is also used in all the gables and on the 2 octagonal turrets. Large Perpendicular style transept, east and west windows. Within, elaborate and complete set of fittings by Bentley unequalled elsewhere in his work, notably in chancel and east chapels, west baptistery and north aisle chantry chapel to S T Holland, the donor. Painted decoration to roofs and walls, opus sectile (tile) panels, rich and elaborate marble and stone altar and reredos with tabernacle (1899) and altar furniture by Bentley. Rood beam across chancel arch, oak sedilia, painted stone piscina and aumbry. Tile and marble floor. Exceptional metalwork, especially the grilles, screens and altar-rails, also electric light fittings (1899). Pulpit (1893), heptagonal marble font with oak cover. Rich fittings especially to the Holland chantry. Two canopied shrines with alabaster statues, 2 Virgin and Sacred Heart. Stained glass by Bentley an east window (1899). East chapels, transepts, (1894), 2 south aisle windows and 2 in chantry. Later fittings of note include west window 1904 Burlison and Grylls and Stations of the Cross circa 1910 by N H J Westlake. W del'Hopital: Westminster Cathedral and its architect 1919 pp. 419-33.

Listing NGR: TQ1087796327

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
158202
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bennett, R, Wright, J E, Church of the Holy Rood, Watford: A History and Description of the Church, (1989)
De L'Hopital, W, Westminster Cathedral and its Architect, (1916), 419-433
Harbron, D, 'Architects' Journal' in Centenary: John Francis Bentley, (26 January 1939), 160

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13251/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Sidell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].