This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

64, HIGH STREET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 64, HIGH STREET

List entry Number: 1101214

Location

64, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Markyate

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 157953

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARKYATE HIGH STREET TL 0616 (West side) 8/174 No. 64 26.1.67

GV II

Inn, now a private house. Late C16, fragmentary wallpaintings c,1600, internal alterations and insertion of attic floor in C18, refronted c.1820. Timber frame on high red brick sill, infilled with red brick on ground floor, exposed with painted or plastered brick panels on 1st floor at rear and in rear wing. Dark weatherboarded gable triangle to rear wing. Front wall and parapet stuccoed with deep chanelled rustication. Steep old red tile roofs. A large, L-plan, 2-storeys, cellar and former attics block, facing E, with carriageway through N end of front range, and formerly a stair turret in the angle of the wings. Stucco E front symmetrical about projecting bay with door in round-headed doorway up 4 steps and small round-headed window over. 2 sash windows with plate glass on each floor on each side of centre. Rear has high red brick sill supporting timber frame with bay-posts exposed to full height. Red brick infill panels on ground floor, painted brick infill to 1st floor between storey-height studs. Similar 2-bays, 2-storeys rear wing with exposed timbers on both side-walls and tilehung W gable triangle. Single-storey W extension at end. Weatherboarded infill to gable at roof level on front range where the full-height original stair tower has been reduced to a single-storey rear porch with access to cellar through floor flap. Casement windows generally, with a 2-light ovolo moulded casement on upper floor of rear wing. Interior shows front range to have 4 structural bays, the north bay occupied by the carriageway with a large C17 chimney backing onto it. This serves a large ground floor room with sophisticated early C17 classical Totternhoe stone fireplace with rectangular plaster conical hood, tapering stone pilasters full entablature, moulded shelf, and centre block, ovolo moulded cross-beam and one square surviving of a complete scheme of wall paintings. Traces on 2 other walls. The panel has a fawn or satyr amid unusually free, large-scale scrolling with classical foliage and grotesques. Traces of frieze carried onto beam and design continued over timber studs. Black on white with yellow/green background, formerly limewashed over. Late C16 style (report by E Clive Rouse in RCHM records). There is similar wallpainting in situ on the central stud of N end wall in attic with stylised foliage in black on white with border and yellow flowers. Similar painted timbers said to be re-used as floor joists to attic now concealed, which was probably inserted in C18. Below the painted panel on ground floor is a small diamond-mullioned 3-light oak window intended as a borrowed light for the former cellar stair. There is an C18 arched opening to the former stair on rear wall in-line with now blocked front door to street. The S front room has an ovolo-moulded crossbeam supporting the chamfered axial beams which run through this range, and a corner fireplace to the C18 chimney inserted in the SE corner. The 4-bays roof of the front range seems to continue to N into No. 62. Clasped-purlin, collar and tie-beam trusses, and long curved wind-braces. The 2-bays rear wing a kitchen and service wing with large internal chimney emerging to S of roof ridge. Stack appears to have replaced a timber framed original jointed to framed S wall. N jamb a re-used ceiling beam. Jowled posts, long curved braces to tie-beam, and straight braces to wall-plates. These have a junction just beyond the chimney suggesting the W end an extension, C18 iron grate on 1st floor and 2-panel ovolo moulded doors with H hinges. Main stair said to have been moved in 1940 to Woodhill Park House nearby. Inn said to have had The Swan as its name. " '

Listing NGR: TL0614416401

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 06144 16401

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101214 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2017 at 06:58:27.

End of official listing