THE GOLDEN PARSONGE AND GARDEN WALLS ATTACHED ON NORTH-EAST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1101260
Date first listed:
22-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
THE GOLDEN PARSONGE AND GARDEN WALLS ATTACHED ON NORTH-EAST, GADDESDEN ROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GOLDEN PARSONGE AND GARDEN WALLS ATTACHED ON NORTH-EAST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101260 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 01:49:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE GOLDEN PARSONGE AND GARDEN WALLS ATTACHED ON NORTH-EAST, GADDESDEN ROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Dacorum (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Gaddesden
National Grid Reference:
TL 05063 12536

Details

GREAT GADDESDEN GADDESDEN ROW TL 0l SE (South side) 4/94 The Golden Parsonage 22.10.52 and garden walls attached on North-East (Formerly listed as Golden Parsonage) GV II*

Country house and attached garden walls. 1705 date (formerly on windvane over entrance: VCH (1908)205) for Thomas Halsey formerly adjoining older house to SE pulled down c.1774, altered c.1760 and in early C19, NW wing dated 1874 on terra cotta panel with crest. Garden walls C18 or earlier. Extensive interior alterations by Waring and Gillows c.1935 (before and after photos in NMR). Very high quality red brickwork in header bond with gauged and moulded dressings to main house. Low pitched roofs concealed by parapets, slate roof to 1874 block, tiled roofs to N extensions. A large 2-storeys square block with giant order grey brick pilasters of Roman Doric clasping each corner with corner entablature, cornice continuous around block surmounted by a moulded parapet. Similar pilaster in middle of 6 windows E elevation. More elaborate 5-windows S elevation has triglyphs in parapet over each window, stepped keystones, and brick aprons to 1st floor windows. Plainer 4 windows W front has projecting central brick porch remodelled c.1935 and no keystones to windows. Recessed tall segmental arched sash windows with 9/9 or 6/6 panes, with corbelled sills on E front and cut down to ground on S front. Triple sash window replaces 2 ground floor windows on E front. 2-storeys NW wing with 2 windows to each floor copying those of house, and half octagonal ground floor bay in middle with slate roof. Steep roofed N extension has arcaded loggia to front and tower with blunt pyrammidal roof. Interior and staircase in early C18 style largely created in c.1935, but incorporates some adapted bolection moulded panelling, some panelled doors of c.1600 with cockspur hinges, and a fireplace with green Wedgewood plaques inset moved here from a demolished pavillion of Gaddesden Place (q.v.) by James Wyatt. White marble fire surround in Dining Room with Ionic pilasters, full entablature and centre block. Roof structure of great interest showing wide-span C18 timber engineering using 12" square oak or chestnut timbers, king-posts, queen-posts, cross-bracing, and painted inscription presumably by carpenter, 'Jo Grove Sept 19: 1766', on one truss. There is an inscription beside the entrance porch outside 'SL 1766'. Extensive service buildings linked to N. E-facing arm of tall garden walls has near S end blocked windows on 2 storey-levels with flat gauged arches and blocked doorways as if part of the demolished older house. The N part of this wall has very tall, narrow, close-set, blocked windows as if for an orangery, and the walling between has later, blocked, wider windows of C19 character, some intersecting the older blocked windows. (VCH (1908)204-5: Pevsner (1977)151-2: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL0506312536

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
157873
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908), 204-5
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 151-2

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/13496/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Sidell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].