This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE BELL HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE BELL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1101365

Location

THE BELL HOUSE, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Aspenden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Jul-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159713

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3528 ASPENDEN THE STREET (north side)

8/3 The Bell House

-

GV II

School house, now a house. Circa 1714 for Ralf Freman the 4th, the squire, with money left by Mary Cater, d.1704, for teaching young children in this parish of the most indigent parents to read and write (EHAS Trans 8 (1928-9) 65: memorial on W end exterior of S aisle of parish church). Red brick in Flemish-bond with thick joints and fine red brick front with moulded brick corbels at ends of boxed eaves. Steep old red tile roof, rear slope now slated. A large, 2-storeys and attics, symmetrical 5 windows house facing S with internal gable chimneys and gabled one-storey brick central porch. Small, one-storey brick and tile additions at each end. Nearly flush, small pane, 2-light casement windows, the upper ones with segmental arches, the lower ones with brick courses continuing over the heads of the frames. 2-light casements at rear, 3 windows to each floor all without arches. Small wooden bell-cote at middle of ridge, and 2 hipped dormers on front roof-slope. Round arched entrance in porch with gable parapet.

Listing NGR: TL3561728292

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society Newsletter' in East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society Newsletter, (1929), 65

National Grid Reference: TL 35617 28292

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101365 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2017 at 09:47:57.

End of official listing