This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1101403

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Benington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159596

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Benington TL 2923 BENINGTON CHURCH GREEN (north side)

11/8 Parish Church of St Peter 24.11.66

GV I

Parish church. Late C13 or early C14 nave and chancel, c1330 N chapel and S porch, early C15 W tower before roof raised for C15 clerestorey. Restored 1889 by John Oldrid Scott. (Kelly (1914) 52). Flint rubble with stone dressings. Steep old red tile roof to porch, chancel and similar roof, hipped at E, to N chapel. Parapet hides low pitched nave roof and embattled parapet to the Hertfordshire spike on the tower. A tall wide aisless nave lit by windows at 2 levels, with a rood stair at the NE corner, and covered by a 4-bay open timber roof. Cambered tie-beams, curved braces from wallposts on corbels, and carved heraldic bosses, painted. 2 early C14 2-light windows in N wall and S wall with tracery. Blocked C14 N door. Late C14 oak S door with contemporary pointed arch in square head. Large 2-light C15 clerestorey windows, 3 on each side. The lower windows have moulded rear arches with hoodmoulds and head stops. 3 carved stone brackets and piscina for former alter at SE. Mid C14 Barnack stone octagonal font with corbelled shafts on alternate faces and C15 stem with panelled sides and base. Fragments of medieval glass in nave windows and wall-painting of masonry pattern with flowers at W end. Simple C15 oak benches. Traceried oak screen of 1889 moved to tower arch in 1966. 3 inscribed brasses on wall at NE, C15 scroll, William Clarke 1591, and John Clarke 1604. Narrower chancel with E wall and roof, and much of S wall, rebuilt in 1889. 5-light E window of that date with stained glass by Burlison and Grylls c1896 (Pevsner). In S wall pre 1300 Sedilia with stiff-leaf and crocket capitals and cusped pointed arches. Piscina early C14 with ogee arch. 2 3-light C15 windows with flat or low-arched traceried heads. Pointed C19 traceried window at SW. Small late C13 S doorway with moulded jambs and straight-sided arch. Chancel arch rebuilt wider in C15. Fine mortuary chapel at NE c1330 with small N door, 2 C14 N 2-light windows with flowing tracery, similar W window, C15 E window, and elaborate 2-bay arcade on S to chancel. Quatrefoil piers with thin shafts in diagonals and moulded bases and caps. Deeply moulded arches, pointed in W bay but elaborately crocketed and ogee pointed in next bay to E, flanked by panelled finials, which acts as a canopy to the traceried tomb chest of Sir John de Benstede and his lady with lifesize recumbent effigies. Small mutilated figures remain in canopied niches along the S side. The wall to the E has been pierced for a similar canopied tomb chest c1430 of Sir Edward de Benstede and his lady. The underside of the 4- centred arch is panelled with a central angel holding their souls in a napkin. Ogee headed niches line the tombchest and the arch has carved spandrels. Part of a C15 brass of a priest is fixed to the pier between the tombs. 2-stage W tower with angle buttresses and half-octagonal turret stair on S face dieing into upper stage. Tall C15 arch to nave. 2-light bell openings with quatrefoil in head under hood mould. Niche in NW buttress with shield of arms. Gabled parapet and diagonal buttresses to S porch, with a 2-light window to E and W and image of St Michael in niche over entrance. Broken stoup by door. The church stands on a prominent elevated site by the castle overlooking the green. OOf outstanding interest for chapel and tombs. (RCHM (1911) 50-1: VCH (1912) 75-7: Pevsner (1977) 93-4).

Listing NGR: TL2969223579

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 75-7
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 93-94
'Kellys Directory' in Hertfordshire, (1914), 52
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 29692 23579

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101403 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2017 at 08:45:30.

End of official listing