FARMHOUSE AT CHAPEL FARM INCLUDING FORMER CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1101421

Date first listed: 31-May-1984

Statutory Address: FARMHOUSE AT CHAPEL FARM INCLUDING FORMER CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of FARMHOUSE AT CHAPEL FARM INCLUDING FORMER CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101421 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 19:06:35.

Location

Statutory Address: FARMHOUSE AT CHAPEL FARM INCLUDING FORMER CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Ardeley

National Grid Reference: TL 32563 25473

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3225 ARDELEY WOOD END (north side)

10/3 Farmhouse at Chapel Farm including former - Congregational Chapel

GV II*

House, and former Chapel, now one property. House late C16. Timber frame with close-studding exposed on front and rear. Steep old red tile roof. A 2-storeys, 5-bay, 3-cell plan house facing S with a continuous front jetty and central chimney backing onto cross passage a third from the W end. C17 red brick chimney of conjoined square shafts. Winding stair to N of chimney (renewed). Hall in middle with axial beam moulded with double cyma. Unheated parlour at E end with exposed framing in walls and upper floor structure. Joists rest on a rail in the rear (N) wall are not jointed to wall. Service room at W end formerly had a screen separating it from the cross-passage. S entrance by moulded 4-centred arched doorway with carved spandrels. 3 windows front with moulded and carved bressumer, small 2-light flush casement windows on upper floor and larger ones on ground floor. Plank door with decorative hinges. Moulded doorway with segmental arched head into hall. Very heavy exposed floor joists. A little altered C16 jettied house of great interest. Former Congregational Chapel at E end of house, erected 1820 as a preaching station for Wymondley Academy (datestone on W wall: VCH (1912) 198) and rebuilt 1862 (datestone on E front). Red brick with slate roofs. Grey brick used for pilasters and polychrome arch and raking cornices on E front, side lean-to porches. Triple round-headed stone window. Pointed moulded stone doorways. Main axis of chapel N-S with entrance gabled frontispiece on roadside on E. Became part of house in 1970's. (RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3256325473

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 159538

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 198

End of official listing