This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHELLS MANOR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHELLS MANOR

List entry Number: 1101434

Location

CHELLS MANOR, CHELLS LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Stevenage

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 31-May-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159567

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 22 NE ASTON CHELLS LANE (north side)

1/17 Chells Manor (formerly listed under 24.11.66 general) - II*

Manor house, now house and office. Late C14 or early C15 for the Wake family (VCH (1912) 144). Wings added to heightened open hall house in C16 and Cl7. Altered in C19 and C20. Timber frame on red brick sill. Roughcast on front (S) and W, but frame exposed with large square panels at rear and E. Steep old red tile roofs and red brick chimneys. A large H-plan, 2-storeys house facing S. One and a half storeys Cl7 service wing to N of W wing, roughcast but C18 red and black brick N gable with C19 projecting gable chimney. Cross-passage at W end of hall behind inserted chimney, possibly replacing a timber framed hood in late Cl9. 3-bay E wing has stair in narrower middle bay and double jettied S gable has heavy corner brackets and double roll moulding on bressumer. Double jettied, 3-bay, 2-storeys and cellar, W crosswing slightly later, without brackets or bressumer moulding, has similar narrower middle bay for a stair and chamfered 1st floor doorway into upper floor over hall range which by then must have been heightened and floored. Ovolo moulded mullioned windows blocked in E side walls of W wing date it to early Cl7. Large entrance doorway in E wall (blocked). 2- bay service wing extending to N has a tall diamond mullioned W window (altered and part blocked) and was originally open to the roof. Entrance and passage moved to E end of hall and E wing provided with new stair and new main entrance from E in early C19. S entrance returned to old position and one at other end of hall blocked in C20, with passage thrown into SE room. Imposing S front with gabled wings jettied at 1st floor and attic levels, and tall red brick panelled chimney rising through front slope of roof of hall range near the W end. One window to W wing on each floor and one over door into passage to W of chimney. Window to hall and chamber over. 3-light mullioned flush windows with leaded glazing and iron opening lights (2-light over porch). Single flush box sash window to ground floor of E wing with 6/6 panes, to left of a central C19 painted brick S gable chimney rising externally to disappear into the 1st floor jetty. 4 steps to half-glazed panelled door under steep gabled hood on heavy cut brackets. Formal 3 windows E front has flush box sash windows with 8/8 panes and 6-panel middle door offset to N in heavy frame with rectangular fanlight under a trellis porch with tented metal roof. U-shaped rear elevation. Old Cl7 oak door to cross- passage with ovolo chamfered battens and cut-in bullion light and flat hood on shaped brackets. Casement windows and blocked windows in wings. 2 casement windows to each floor on W. Interior has brick paving in cross-passage and in cellar under parlour at SW corner. Blocked doorway from passage into W stair bay now with 2-light ogee moulded mullioned window with leaded glazing, inserted. 2 chamfered but unstopped axial beams support hall floor and early C20 Arts and Crafts inglenook in oak with pewter plaques among tiles of fire surround. Similar artworkers escutcheons and finger plates on doors elsewhere in house. Exposed timberwork in upper floor of W wing appears as close studding with straight tension braces. Clasped-purlin roofs. Face-halved bladed scarf joint in E wallplate of W wing. 2-panel doors with H hinges on 1st floor. Massive tie-beam over hall (cut) just above level of window sill. (RCHM (1911) 214: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL2667025295

Selected Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 26670 25295

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101434 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2017 at 12:22:52.

End of official listing