CROMER WINDMILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1101453
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Sep-1995
Statutory Address:
CROMER WINDMILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CROMER WINDMILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101453 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 01:08:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CROMER WINDMILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Ardeley
National Grid Reference:
TL 30452 28642

Details

TL 32 NW ARDELEY CROMER MILL LANE (south side) Cromer

2/1 Cromer Windmill (at road 22.2.67 junction NE of village) (formerly listed as Windmill under general)

GV II

The entry shall be amended to read:

TL 32 NW ARDELEY CROMER MILL LANE

555-0-2/1 Cromer Windmill 22.02.67

GV II*

------------------------------------

Cromer TL 32 NW ARDELEY CROMER MILL LANE (south side)

2/1 Cromer Windmill (at road junction NE of village) 22.2.67 (formerly listed as Windmill under general)

GV II

Post-mill. C18 (said to be c1720), ceased working c1923, body repaired c1937, restored with sails and fantail 1967-9. Timber frame with horizontal white weatherboarding carried up over ogee shaped cap. Supported above an octagonal red brick roundhouse with felted roof. Elaborately geared fantail, with openwork blades and with carriage fixed to broad ladder at rear. Cast iron windshaft for 4 patent sails (without shutters) now dismantled and stored next the mill. A 2-storeys rotating mill carried on a very large faceted central post supported by a large timber trestle protected by the round house. The body is carried on a massive crown-tree in the middle floor from which the rest of the timer frame is hung. 2 stones are now set in the upper floor in the breast of the mill, with cast iron gearing and separate centrifugal governors at high level in the lower floor. A hoist pulled up grain bags to the top of the mill through a trap door and wooden chutes took the ground floor to the lower floor. A steep ladder joins the two and small shuttered apartures light the interior. The brake-wheel and brake have been dismantled. The stones said to have been formerly arranged with one in tail and one in the breast but this gave trouble and altered to present arrangement and tailpole replaced by present automatic fantail. The mill stands on an artificial mound the site for the manorial windmill acquired c1222 (VCH (1912) 196). Of special interest as a conspicuous landmark and the county's only remaining post-mill. (Branch Johnson (1970) 52: Pevsner (1977) 73: D Smith Enqlish Windmills II London 1932: A C Smith Cromer Windmill Stevenage Mus. 1975).

Listing NGR: TL3045228642

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
159521
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Branch Johnson, W , The Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, (1970), 52
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 73
Smith, A C , Cromer Windmill, (1975)
Smith, D , English Windmills, (1932)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07959/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].